Need help setting permissions for Advanced Operator user role to link KB articles RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:  SCSM 2012 CU3.

I recently re-created one of our user roles in our test environment to give them the ability to create Knowledge Articles.  Previously this user role was an "Incident Resolver."   I re-created this user role as an "Advanced Operator" and gave it the same permissions as the previous user role, with the exception of adding all of the tasks and views for the KB-related items.

When logged in as a user who belongs to this user role and attempt to link a KB article to an incident, I get this error when trying to save the incident:

Full details of the error:

"Date: 2/20/2013 12:16:31 PM
    Application:
    Application Version: 7.5.1561.116
    Severity: Error
    Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnauthorizedAccessEnterpriseManagementException: The user <DOMAIN>\scsmtest does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ServiceProxy.HandleFault(String methodName, Message message)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ConnectorFrameworkConfigurationServiceProxy.ProcessDiscoveryData(Guid discoverySourceId, IList`1 entityInstances, IDictionary`2 streams, ObjectChangelist`1 extensions)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.IncrementalDiscoveryData.CommitInternal(EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup, Guid discoverySourceId, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.IncrementalDiscoveryData.Commit(EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.DataAdapters.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjectionWriteAdapter.WriteSdkObject(EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup, IList`1 sdkObjects, IDictionary`2 parameters)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.DataAdapters.SdkWriteAdapter`1.DoAction(DataQueryBase query, IList`1 dataSources, IDictionary`2 parameters, IList`1 inputs, String outputCollectionName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.ViewFramework.SingleItemSupportAdapter.DoAction(DataQueryBase query, IList`1 dataSources, IDictionary`2 parameters, IList`1 inputs, String outputCollectionName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.DataModel.QueryQueue.StartExecuteQuery(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)"

Ops Manager event log shows Event ID 26319 for this error:

"An exception was thrown while processing ProcessDiscoveryData for session ID uuid:207b8e90-521f-402e-97b4-bc20a84075a4;id=6.
     Exception message: The user <DOMAIN>\scsmtest does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
     Full Exception: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnauthorizedAccessEnterpriseManagementException: The user <DOMAIN>\scsmtest does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DiscoveryDatabaseAccess.ManagementStoreAuthorization.Authorize(DiscoveryDataInstance discoveryDataInstance, IAuthorizationService authService, Boolean useProcessContext, WindowsIdentity identity, DatabaseConnection databaseConnection)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.DiscoveryDataManager.DiscoveryPackageIncrementalProcessingHandler.AuthorizeEntityObjects(DatabaseConnection databaseConnection, Guid discoverySourceId, IContext context, IList`1 packets)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.DiscoveryDataManager.DiscoveryPackageIncrementalProcessingHandler.ProcessIncrementalDiscoveryData(DatabaseConnection databaseConnection)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.DiscoveryDataManager.DiscoveryPackageIncrementalProcessingHandler.Process()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DiscoveryDatabaseAccess.DiscoveryPackageProcessor.ProcessWithRetry(HandleProcessing handleProcessing, RetryPolicy retryPolicy)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.DiscoveryDataManager.ProcessDiscoveryDataWithRetry(DatabaseConnection dbconnection, Guid discoverySourceId, IList`1 sdkEntityInstances, IDictionary`2 streams, IContext context)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.ConnectorFrameworkConfigurationService.ProcessDiscoveryData(Guid discoverySourceId, IList`1 entityInstances, IDictionary`2 streams, ObjectChangelist`1 extensions)"

What tasks, etc do I need to give to this user role to allow them to link KB articles to an incident?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:19 PM

Answers

• Solved this on my own.  For this user role, I had to check the radio button for "All configuration items can be accessed" in the Configuration item Groups section.

After doing this, I am no longer seeing the errors when linking a KB article to an incident.

Now, if only someone could tell me what the Feedback tab is used for in the KB article, and how Tags can be used properly.  Currently I don't see any way to filter KB articles by tags.

• Marked as answer by Chris Keander Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:54 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• Solved this on my own.  For this user role, I had to check the radio button for "All configuration items can be accessed" in the Configuration item Groups section.

After doing this, I am no longer seeing the errors when linking a KB article to an incident.

Now, if only someone could tell me what the Feedback tab is used for in the KB article, and how Tags can be used properly.  Currently I don't see any way to filter KB articles by tags.

• Marked as answer by Chris Keander Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:54 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Feedback tab is used to represent a summorized view of the KA's rates and comments made by users. Those users, who actually must be the members of Administrators, Advanced Operators, or Authors roles, assess the articles using the control on the top of General tab.

End users can't rate articles and this makes this feedback close to useless. That's why we embedded this rating mechanism in our solution.

Cheers,
    Marat
    Site: www.scutils.com  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:34 AM