KB952709 update kills Palm device RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the KB952709 update and was no longer able to sync my Palm device. I uninstalled the update and it again works fine. The Palm log on the device said a program did not respond. There was no log generated on the desktop.

I am using Vista Home Premium with Palm Desktop 4.1

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jeff

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:28 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Jeff, as the issue has been narrowed down, I suggest you use the following steps to prevent the installation of the update:

1. Click on the Start Button, type "Windows Update" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On the left pane, click the "Check for updates" button.

3. If any optional updates have been found, it will be listed. In that case, please click the "View available updates" option.

4. Right click on the optional update you would like to hide and click "Hide update".

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:05 AM
  •  

Hi Jeff, I have not received similar feedback from other users and I do not have Palm device for test currently. If this has been confirmed, we will release fix on it. I will also forward this to our product team and try to repro it. Thank you.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jeff, as the issue has been narrowed down, I suggest you use the following steps to prevent the installation of the update:

1. Click on the Start Button, type "Windows Update" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On the left pane, click the "Check for updates" button.

3. If any optional updates have been found, it will be listed. In that case, please click the "View available updates" option.

4. Right click on the optional update you would like to hide and click "Hide update".

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:05 AM
  • thanks Sean. So it's not just me? or do you know yet?

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:02 AM
  •  

Hi Jeff, I have not received similar feedback from other users and I do not have Palm device for test currently. If this has been confirmed, we will release fix on it. I will also forward this to our product team and try to repro it. Thank you.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:04 AM
  •  Yeffers wrote:

I installed the KB952709 update and was no longer able to sync my Palm device. I uninstalled the update and it again works fine. The Palm log on the device said a program did not respond. There was no log generated on the desktop.

I am using Vista Home Premium with Palm Desktop 4.1

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jeff

Yeffers, can you tell us what kind of Palm device you were using [name brand & model] when you had the problem with the Vista KB952709 update?

Sean Zhu - MSFT wrote:

I too don't use a palm device with a Vista home basic laptop but to avoid any other unforseen problems with KB952709, I'll postpone installing it until the problems get corrected.

Monday, July 7, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Tungsten T3

I used system restore to roll back the update, and it worked as before, I have since upgraded to Palm Desktop 6.2 I think it is, whatever the latest release and no problems, but I have avoided re-installing the update listed.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:51 AM
  • A recent article from the Askwoody.com site mentions the KB952709 Vista update messing up synching a palm device:
    http://www.askwoody.com/newscomments.php?newsid=2144

Doing a recent Google search on KB952709 also revealed three more different problems caused by installing this update:
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32628753/problem-connecting-to-wif.aspx
    http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Media_Adapters&thread.id=2584
    http://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=10182

One more good reason why I'm not touching KB952709 and will wait for a "V2" release of it.  My mom's Vista laptop can work well without it for now.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:42 PM
  • using palm 6.2 now, win update did reinstall the patch and have had no problems since... as usual "YMMV" - Your Mileage May Vary....

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:38 AM