none
Internet Explorer 11 favorites location - Folder Redirection

Question

• Hello,

we configured Folder Redirection for our user profiles. Additionally, we enabled the move of the Internet Explorer favorites to a new location.

I noticed that, despite running fine on Windows 7 with IE9, the IE favorites don't show up on Windows 10 with IE11. The online folder with the favorites is fine, but IE11 just ignores the setting to NOT save them local.

Context:
    Win 7 / IE9 (works):

Old location: C:\Users\<user>\Favorites

GPO defined new location: \\<servername>\...\<user>\Favorites

Win 10 / IE11 (Doesn't work):

Old location: C:\Users\<user>\Favorites

GPO is active and working, but it stays at the old location.

Can anyone help me out?

Regards,

Phillip

• Edited by Alquantor Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:39 AM Context
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:33 AM

All replies

• > favorites don't show up on Windows 10 with IE11. The online folder with

If we are talking about Edge here, yes you are right. Managing favorites
    for Edge isn't really possible right now, AFAIK.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 4:03 PM
  • IE11, not Edge
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hi,
    Please check if the value of the registry named Favorites is pointed to correct path under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\user Shell Folders
    You could also directly redirect this folder from registry via group policy. I have done it successfully in my lab.
    Please note: serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Thank you, this is a good hint! 

The key doesn't show the correct path; It shows the local offline path.
    But I can't explain why the Folder Redirection WITH the enabled favorites redirect doesn't work on Win 10 anymore. 

Did something change? I haven't noticed anything.

I want to avoid creating a second GPO only for the IE favorites, just because the folder redirection doesn't work anymore.

• Edited by Alquantor Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:48 AM
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Have you gone through ?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asiatech/2014/12/16/how-to-apply-favorites-links-to-ie10ie11-in-gpo-without-iem/

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Dear Devaraj,

yes, I read this article. It's not fitting for my situation, because:

We are not using IEM

and we don't want to place specific bookmarks into the users IE but RELOCATE the users existing bookmarks folder (with it's individual bookmarks)

Best regards,
    Phillip

Monday, May 09, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Hi Phillip,

According to your description, GPO is working, but the related registry is not getting modified in system, the issue is only happening on windows10. In this case, I would suggest you post your question in Windows10 forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:30 AM
  • As IEM is missing in Local Gpo.

can anyone guide me how to add IEM  for Windows 10 or any other way to add favorites in IE without using AD?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:29 AM
  • > can anyone guide me how to add *IEM  for Windows 10* or any other way to add favorites in IE without using AD?

Simply copy a bunch of URL files to the Favorites folder...

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:10 AM
  • i want to apply these settings through Local GPO only.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:32 AM
  • Any Update For IE?
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:32 PM