none
Basic questation about backup SQL database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have basic questation about backup database . If I set DPM to backup database and the database have full model and another application truncate log. Detect this dpm and create full backup or create error ?

Falcon

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want another backup process to truncate the logs instead of DPM, you can just configure DPM to synchronize just before a recovery point.  That basically tells DPM to just perform express full backups which will not truncate logs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:57 PM
  • thank you for answer , but this create full backup . not increment . And if I set incremental backup in the dpm and second team ( app.instalation ) truncate log , detect this DPM and create full backup ?

Falcon

Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

An express full backup is not a full backup in the traditional sence. DPM does block level tracking and only brings over changed database blocks since the last express full.  So you can think of DPM express full technology as full backup for the initial replica, and incremental forever after that.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:08 AM
  • that mean the incremental backup is not backup log ?

Falcon

Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:17 PM