Windows 10 Pro Install Complete Mac Mini no OS X?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Let me start by saying I was directed here from MS Community Forum. By the Title of my post - you guessed it. I was able to perform a complete full install of Windows 10 Pro DVD I burned using MS Media Creation Tool. How? Why?

I have a Mac Mini ( late 2012 ) with the USB SuperDrive. Up till now I have had to use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 Pro. I assumed that my Mac model has UEFI. I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro installation to Win 10 Pro and also followed through with Media Creation Tool and burned a Bootable DVD.

I upgraded to OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Boot Camped Win 10. Windows 10 Pro over wrote the Mac Recovery Partition to EFI. Out of frustration I performed a Full Erase of HDD and decided to attempt an install of Windows 10. During Setup I chose "Custom Install (Advanced)" Deleted Partitions and hit New and Next. This created the Reserved Partition and Primary. Just like magic it installed on my Mac as Primary OS no OS X. How is this possible? Just wondering. Is it that Windows 10 now has UEFI/EFI compatibility for this sort of install on an Intel Mac? Updated the Apple Drivers everything is running smooth, no glitches just can't [Command]+[R] lest I Internet Recovery back to OS X. I am very curious is why I'm asking.  Cheers!!

Now proud owner of a MacinWin Mini 

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

We may take a look at the setupact.log file to determine the install process:

Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx

For how it works, well I am also interested.

Enjoy your Windows 10 on Mac.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, September 28, 2015 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 3:20 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hi again Michael!

So, after reading the Docs in the link you provided, I think my answer was found in the UEFI and EFI Compatible documentation. This is my setup when I did the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade and created the DVD using Media Creation Tool:

Mac Mini (late 2012) OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks, Boot Camp-Windows 7 Pro

USB SuperDrive in 1st USB port. Apple USB keyboard in 2nd USB port. Ext. USB 2.0 1 TB HD 3rd USB port and Ext. USB 3.0 Hub (Monitor Ports).

Did the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro (now it was mine) and made sure all was functional. Downloaded the MS Media Creation Tool and Created Bootable DVD for backup. This is where I believe that Windows 10 assumed UEFI and EFI Compatibility Mode because all this was being accomplished on my Mac. This is why the DVD is bootable and Windows 10 Pro setup creates the "Reserved Partition" 500 MB and "BOOTCAMP" Partition 465 GB. Like I stated, this is great for a OS X non-fan like me, but, this does nothing for someone who chooses to use the DVD to reinstall Windows in Boot Camp. Need the "full version" for that. I am enjoying Windows 10 Pro as my Primary OS on the Mac Mini. I understand a few things now as well. You never know until you try. I've been experimenting with hardware configurations and setups for years. This one wins the prize!

Cheers!!

• Marked as answer by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 2:54 AM
    • Edited by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 3:14 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 12:36 AM
  • I have participated in Apple Community for some time now. More clarity is coming to focus on this matter of using Windows 10 Pro (in my case) installed on Mac by simply using the Windows 10 Media created by Media Creation Tool - AFTER UPGRADE AND ACTIVATION ON MAC IN BOOT CAMP.

This method is being used, but, the clarification comes that you can install Windows 10 successfully alone on the Internal HD of the Mac along with all Boot Camp Drivers and Boot Camp updates. Windows 10 cannot be the only sole OS installed for correct functionality as a Mac. The Mac OS X must installed on an external source, i.e. External USB HD or Thunderbolt HD. OS X provides the means necessary to receive "push" firmware updates, critical updates, security updates and App updates via your Apple ID Account. This, of course, not effecting Windows.

Most importantly, [command]+[R] "Recovery" is not possible with Windows as primary OS on Internal HD due to the fact that the local Disk0 Recovery is not present on HD, Windows overwrites as EFI. You will launch Internet Recovery instead.

Lastly, your Mac's internal HD must be formatted as 1 single Mac OS extended (journaled) partition - GUID Partition Map. During Windows 10 setup you will "delete" the arbitrary partitions and hit "New" then Apply>Next. This creates 2 distinct partitions on the Mac - 1st - 500 MB System Reserved and the 2nd xxx GB Primary. No Format hit "Next" Install will begin. After Windows install complete and proper install of Apple Boot Camp Drivers the "Local Disk" (C:) is then named BOOTCAMP (C:) and "System Reserved" for EFI.

Again, this is a great feature, however, the liability and risk falls in the hands of the user. Windows 10 will only update itself through Microsoft Updates. Mac OS X will only update in App Store Updates. This limitation is must be understood.

John Dupuis

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:36 PM
  • Thank you. However, My question is why did I successfully install Windows 10 on my Mac Mini - no OS X installed. I know how to use Boot Camp.

My DVD copy of Windows 10 Pro I created from Media Creation Tool, successfully Installed, Setup and Activated on my erased Hard Drive in my Mac. Just curious as to the nature of the new Win Boot Loader that allows this on Mac from DVD install medium.

Cheers!!

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:01 AM
  • Hi John,

We may take a look at the setupact.log file to determine the install process:

Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx

For how it works, well I am also interested.

Enjoy your Windows 10 on Mac.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 3:20 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hello Michael! Indeed, I am enjoying this. I also have to say I been looking for something like this since two weeks after buying my Mac. Don't care much for OS X Mavericks or Yosemite. Anyway.

I repeated the scenario. Interestingly enough, I decided to plug up my LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt ext. HD via the Thunderbolt port. Inserted my USB OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Installer thumb drive, powered up holding [Option] key, selected Installer and installed and setup OS X10.10.5 on that HD. Awesome. Booting to Windows 10 Pro? Well, simply unplug the External HD. Boot to Yosemite? Plug up ext. HD power up holding [Option] key and select OS X 10.10.5 Disk. Two totally separate computers in one. Note that booting into Windows 10 with LaCie Thunderbolt installed, boinks up Windows 10. Acts like a fresh install or something. Really weird. Hence, I erased and was able to repeat Windows Install and Setup with DVD.

Using Boot Camp in OS X 10.10.5 to install Windows 10 Pro with my DVD, only led to Windows overwriting Disk 0 - Recovery. Windows 10 overwrites it as EFI. This causes issue when powering up the Mac holding [command]+[R]. No Recovery on disk causes my Mac Mini (late 2012) to go into Internet Recovery. No good for some who love Mac. Great for me as I love having Windows 10 on a finely aluminum hewn Intel PC and prime OS on internal HD! I'll post the Logs when I get to my Mac.

Cheers!! <edit>

P.S. Microsoft's Windows 10 took, I think, the good -One Drive and Outlook User Account setup and created a version of Windows that surpasses OS X networking and usability.

• Edited by JohnsMacnWIN Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:37 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Hi again Michael!

So, after reading the Docs in the link you provided, I think my answer was found in the UEFI and EFI Compatible documentation. This is my setup when I did the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade and created the DVD using Media Creation Tool:

Mac Mini (late 2012) OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks, Boot Camp-Windows 7 Pro

USB SuperDrive in 1st USB port. Apple USB keyboard in 2nd USB port. Ext. USB 2.0 1 TB HD 3rd USB port and Ext. USB 3.0 Hub (Monitor Ports).

Did the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro (now it was mine) and made sure all was functional. Downloaded the MS Media Creation Tool and Created Bootable DVD for backup. This is where I believe that Windows 10 assumed UEFI and EFI Compatibility Mode because all this was being accomplished on my Mac. This is why the DVD is bootable and Windows 10 Pro setup creates the "Reserved Partition" 500 MB and "BOOTCAMP" Partition 465 GB. Like I stated, this is great for a OS X non-fan like me, but, this does nothing for someone who chooses to use the DVD to reinstall Windows in Boot Camp. Need the "full version" for that. I am enjoying Windows 10 Pro as my Primary OS on the Mac Mini. I understand a few things now as well. You never know until you try. I've been experimenting with hardware configurations and setups for years. This one wins the prize!

Cheers!!

• Marked as answer by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 2:54 AM
    • Edited by JohnsMacnWIN Monday, September 28, 2015 3:14 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 12:36 AM
  • Hi Michael,

The method works, however, it needs noted that during the Windows Partition setup, during setup, one must use "Delete" to make one "Unallocated Partition". Then hit "New" and "Apply". Windows 10 will create the appropriate partitions - "Reserved System" ***MB and "Primary" ***GB. In my case, a 500 GB HD This Primary partition will become the BOOTCAMP (C:) DO NOT SELECT "RESERVED" NOR FORMAT ANY PARTITIONS AT THIS POINT, HIT "NEXT" Setup does the rest. Upon completion and successful install, immediately follow-up installing Boot Camp Drivers and updating Boot Camp Drivers to v6.0 in Start>All Apps>Apple Software Update. After which Windows 10 Pro can be used as Primary OS.

THIS CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED USING THE DVD/USB MEDIA CREATED ON THE MAC FOR THE MAC AFTER UPGRADE AND ACTIVATION. USE MS MEDIA CREATION TOOL ONLY. THIS IS NOT THE "FULL" OEM OR RETAIL VERSION. ONE USER, ONE COMPUTER. UPGRADE AND CUSTOM SETUP ONLY.

John Dupuis

Monday, September 28, 2015 3:13 AM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your sharing and update.

Glad to hear that you have figured this thing out.

If any further issues encountered when using Windows 10, please feel free to post in TechNet.

Regards

Monday, September 28, 2015 5:15 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I have OS X Yosemite on my Ext. Thunderbolt HD, as mentioned. Another update: Keep Time Machine backup confined to an external USB source separated from Windows. Mac will boot from Time Machine back ups!! (should have remembered this)  Found this out when I powered up this morning. Deleted TM Backup from ext. USB drive I use with Windows. So far, my Mac Mini and Windows 10 Pro are co-existing just fine. Now, if my Mac only had a User-Configurable BIOS, I'd be in business - that's another topic all together!

Cheers!!

John Dupuis

Monday, September 28, 2015 11:31 AM
  • Question: Does the Windows 10 Pro Full Version - OEM and Retail Media have the ability to install on Macs using UEFI/EFI Compatibility Mode?

Cheers!!

John Dupuis

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:49 AM
  • Hi John,

The install Media should work. But we might need to do a little work to prepare the Mac machine.

Which comes to the link shared by S.Sengupta.

UEFI has more advantages than lancy BIOS mode.

Regards

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you. So your response brings me back to the original frustration prior to my installation of Windows 10 Pro as stand-alone on my Mac. The problem with OS X 10.10.5, Boot Camp Assistant and Windows 10 Pro:

In my normal OS X internal disk environment there was Disk 0: "OS X Recovery" accessed by [command]+[R] keys at power up. The Macintosh HD: "OS X 10.10.5" and BOOTCAMP (Windows).

What happened? Using Windows 10 Pro DVD I created from MS Media Creation Tool installs just fine through Boot Camp Assistant and everything appears "Normal". However, during the installation of Windows 10 Pro, the Disk 0 "Recovery" is overwritten and titled "EFI" rendering the local OS X Recovery useless and forces Internet Recovery. Problem: My Mac Mini shipped with OS X Mavericks so Internet Recovery is Not Yosemite via Internet Recovery. This is where, out of frustration, I discovered I could install Windows 10 Pro  "Stand-Alone" as Primary OS on my Mac's Internal HD. Avoiding the Boot Camp issue all together. I have been frustrated with OS X for some time now and find Windows 10 to be very useful on my Mac Mini. To revert my system back would only bring about the problem again. Now you know the rest of the story.

Cheers!!

John Dupuis

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hello again Michael! Here is the output from the Terminal in OS X:

(Please Note that ID: disk0, disk0s1 thru disk0s4 is the LaCie Thunderbolt HD containing the functional OS X install. ID: disk1, disk1s1 and disk1s2 is my Internal HD containing Windows 10 Pro)

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            799.3 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:                  Apple_HFS My Mac HD               199.9 GB   disk0s4

/dev/disk1

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1

1:               Windows_NTFS System Reserved         524.3 MB   disk1s1

2:               Windows_NTFS BOOTCAMP                499.6 GB   disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1

2:                  Apple_HFS My Passport for Mac     500.1 GB   disk2s2

3:       Microsoft Basic Data My Passport for Windows 499.6 GB   disk2s3

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting       Ending

#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 - 1953525167] <Unknown ID>

2: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      

3: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      

4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused      

Hope this Terminal output helps to see how I'm configured and running.

All Hard Disks are healthy. I unplug the LaCie Thunderbolt and my Mini boots up in Windows 10 Pro. I plug up the LaCie Thunderbolt and the Mini boots in OS X.

Cheers!!

John

John Dupuis

• Edited by JohnsMacnWIN Friday, October 2, 2015 5:41 AM Removed Personal Info
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Hey guys,

I have question.

You used 2012 mini model.

If i buy the new maci mini , will i be able to fresh install windows 10 pro 64bit  ??

thanks

• Edited by Sumedh_vsk Friday, October 2, 2015 4:53 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 4:52 AM
  • Hello!

I have to say that I have not got full clarification on this matter. This is something I discovered and is mostly just a circumstance at best. I know that my install is at my own risk. My Mac Mini is well out of warranty service and Apple nor Microsoft can provide support for this sort of thing. In order for me to have the Microsoft Support with the Windows 10, I have to revert my Mac Mini to an OS X install with Windows 10 Pro installed through Boot Camp. I hope this answers your question. The Mac was not designed to run Windows as the Stand-Alone OS. I am answering as I have reverted my system back to OEM and Boot Camped my Windows 10 Pro install. I found there to be Boot Issues and a number compatibility issues. Like a bad idea, it starts off sounding okay but finishes ugly.

Cheers!!

The UEFI/EFI compatibility mode on the DVD created with Media Creation Tool is for the Upgrade purposes for the previously installed versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 in Boot Camp. These versions must be installed in Boot Camp first prior to upgrading with the created media.

John Dupuis

• Edited by JohnsMacnWIN Friday, October 2, 2015 5:53 AM Additional Note
    Friday, October 2, 2015 5:17 AM
  • I have participated in Apple Community for some time now. More clarity is coming to focus on this matter of using Windows 10 Pro (in my case) installed on Mac by simply using the Windows 10 Media created by Media Creation Tool - AFTER UPGRADE AND ACTIVATION ON MAC IN BOOT CAMP.

This method is being used, but, the clarification comes that you can install Windows 10 successfully alone on the Internal HD of the Mac along with all Boot Camp Drivers and Boot Camp updates. Windows 10 cannot be the only sole OS installed for correct functionality as a Mac. The Mac OS X must installed on an external source, i.e. External USB HD or Thunderbolt HD. OS X provides the means necessary to receive "push" firmware updates, critical updates, security updates and App updates via your Apple ID Account. This, of course, not effecting Windows.

Most importantly, [command]+[R] "Recovery" is not possible with Windows as primary OS on Internal HD due to the fact that the local Disk0 Recovery is not present on HD, Windows overwrites as EFI. You will launch Internet Recovery instead.

Lastly, your Mac's internal HD must be formatted as 1 single Mac OS extended (journaled) partition - GUID Partition Map. During Windows 10 setup you will "delete" the arbitrary partitions and hit "New" then Apply>Next. This creates 2 distinct partitions on the Mac - 1st - 500 MB System Reserved and the 2nd xxx GB Primary. No Format hit "Next" Install will begin. After Windows install complete and proper install of Apple Boot Camp Drivers the "Local Disk" (C:) is then named BOOTCAMP (C:) and "System Reserved" for EFI.

Again, this is a great feature, however, the liability and risk falls in the hands of the user. Windows 10 will only update itself through Microsoft Updates. Mac OS X will only update in App Store Updates. This limitation is must be understood.

John Dupuis

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 2:24 AM