First time purchasing Windows Server 2008 R2 Software... Lost in (licensing) jargon. Need help please. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need to buy an OS for a small business server I'm building for a customer. I want to install Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm kind of lost in the jargon though. Here some products I've found :............................ Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit 5clt (P73-04754)................................................... Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit 1 Server 10 CAL (P73-04755)................................ Microsoft Windows Server Standard 2008 R2 64 bit x64 English 1pk - OEM (P73-04849).......................... Microsoft Server Windows Standard 2008 R2 WIN License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open),Full New License(English) (P73-04982)................................................................................................... Does clt mean "client"? Is clt the same as CAL? If it written 10 CAL, does it mean that I won't be able to create more than 10 users on the server? For the two last products above ("OEM" and "License only") will I have to purchase CALs separately? In the future is it possible to purchase more CAL? Any ideas?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:34 AM

Answers

• Firstly keep in mind you mentioned "Small Business server" which is a totally different product. Windows Small Business Server 2011 includes Server std R2, Exchange, Sharepoint, and many other 'bonus features'.

As for your listed products:

Windows server std 2008 R2 = the basic current version of Windows server

64bit = hardware must support 64 bit O/S. 32 bit is no longer available as of R2 release

5 clt = includes 5 CAL's (client access licenses)

All O/S comes with 5 CAL's and yo can buy more at a later date

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer which means the O/S it must be bought with hardware and cannot be transfered to other hardware

License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open) = Open volume licensing. Can be downloaded or order CD separately. Volume licensing is not tied to hardware and can be transfered to other hardware, physical or virtual.

Yes you can buy as many CAL's as you like at a later date.

Rob Williams
    • Marked as answer by Neil Sanner Friday, March 18, 2011 12:11 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:06 AM
  • If you are looking at using volume or Open licensing you would usually purchase this through a Microsoft partner. I do recommend Volume licensing as it offers you the most flexibility. The Microsoft partner can best advise you on the particular SKU/product version to buy.

"License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open)"  sounds correct I really can't say from your list as they do not all appear to be comparable. Some list client licenses and some product numbers. I have never seen a version that didn't include 5 CAL's. To add to your confusion you can also buy software assurance which allows you to upgrade to the next version for free. It is not cheap but it allows you to move your CAL's and server licensing forward and maintain support

Rob Williams
    • Marked as answer by Neil Sanner Friday, March 18, 2011 12:12 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:28 PM
  • 1 CAL = 1 user or 1 device. To explain.
    You can buy user CAL's or Device CAL's. Device CAL's are assigned to devices so in a situation where you have you have a lot of users sharing 1 computer such as a call center they are the better buy. In a situation where your users may connect to the server using different devices such as their desktop PC, there home computer or laptop, and a mobile phone, user CAL's are the better option. In the latter situation a user would need 1 user CAL or 3 device CAL's.

>>"More flexible in what way exactly?"
    There are 3 basic types of licensing. That link is not specific so I am not sure which it is.

• OEM: Original Equipment Manufacture is legally only sold with the server by a vendor such as Dell and HP. This is the least expensive way to get a license, but it can only be used on the hardware with which it was supplied. If 2 years from now your server dies and you need to re-install on a new server you are not allowed to do so.
    • FPP: Full Packaged Product. This is a boxed full product that can be moved from machine to machine, and is usually sold by 3rd party vendors or your local computer shop
    • VOL: Volume licensing (there are variations such as Open/Value) This can also be moved machine to machine, software and licensing codes are managed on line, and there can be pricing and support advantages. This is sold by Microsoft partners.

Persoanly I prefer Volume licensing because the Microsoft partenr is far more familiar with licensing and can assure you have the right product.

Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Good to buy the following combinations as a full-fledge MS-Win2008R2 for a Very SmallGroup

Small Business Server could be a waste of money and time for you. Simply stating its like a Win7 Starter Kit with stripprd functionalities. SBS SHOULD NOT BE YOUR CHOICE AT ALL UNLESS YOU BUY IT WITH PREMIUM ADD-ON ...

P73-04982  x 1 = $750 approx

R18-02709 x 10 = $330 aprox

6VC-01161 x 1  = $90 approx ; as a standby/emergency Remote Desktop Service User CAL

Software Assurance and RMS-Rights Mgmt is a better buy but depends on your present budget. 

Buy it from CDW.com if you need to spread your payments to many months,  Software Leasing

Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:26 PM

All replies

• Firstly keep in mind you mentioned "Small Business server" which is a totally different product. Windows Small Business Server 2011 includes Server std R2, Exchange, Sharepoint, and many other 'bonus features'.

As for your listed products:

Windows server std 2008 R2 = the basic current version of Windows server

64bit = hardware must support 64 bit O/S. 32 bit is no longer available as of R2 release

5 clt = includes 5 CAL's (client access licenses)

All O/S comes with 5 CAL's and yo can buy more at a later date

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer which means the O/S it must be bought with hardware and cannot be transfered to other hardware

License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open) = Open volume licensing. Can be downloaded or order CD separately. Volume licensing is not tied to hardware and can be transfered to other hardware, physical or virtual.

Yes you can buy as many CAL's as you like at a later date.

Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:06 AM
  • Hi Rob, Thank you very much for the answer. I understand a lot better now. We're looking at Windows server std 2008 R2 (and not "Small Business server"). So if I buy "License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open)" is there any CALs included? From a practical point of view, what would be best for a small business under with about 10 users? Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit 10clt (P73-04754) OR Microsoft Server Windows Standard 2008 R2 WIN License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open),Full New License(English) (P73-04982)
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:48 PM
  • If you are looking at using volume or Open licensing you would usually purchase this through a Microsoft partner. I do recommend Volume licensing as it offers you the most flexibility. The Microsoft partner can best advise you on the particular SKU/product version to buy.

"License Only NO MEDIA INCLUDED(Open)"  sounds correct I really can't say from your list as they do not all appear to be comparable. Some list client licenses and some product numbers. I have never seen a version that didn't include 5 CAL's. To add to your confusion you can also buy software assurance which allows you to upgrade to the next version for free. It is not cheap but it allows you to move your CAL's and server licensing forward and maintain support

Rob Williams
    • Marked as answer by Neil Sanner Friday, March 18, 2011 12:12 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Rob, So just to be clear : 1 CAL = 1 user right? If we will have 10 users with 10 pcs on the network, we'll need 10 CALs right. So Open licensing would be more flexible. More flexible in what way exactly? I mean, if I buy the full retail standard version it won't be as flexible in what way? Let's say, for example, I buy item N82E16832116853 at NewEgg (URL: http://bit.ly/hUsgfs) (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit 1 Server 10 CAL). Is there something wrong with that version? Should I buy from a Microsoft Parter instead to get an Open license (and why)?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:40 PM
  • 1 CAL = 1 user or 1 device. To explain.
    You can buy user CAL's or Device CAL's. Device CAL's are assigned to devices so in a situation where you have you have a lot of users sharing 1 computer such as a call center they are the better buy. In a situation where your users may connect to the server using different devices such as their desktop PC, there home computer or laptop, and a mobile phone, user CAL's are the better option. In the latter situation a user would need 1 user CAL or 3 device CAL's.

>>"More flexible in what way exactly?"
    There are 3 basic types of licensing. That link is not specific so I am not sure which it is.

• OEM: Original Equipment Manufacture is legally only sold with the server by a vendor such as Dell and HP. This is the least expensive way to get a license, but it can only be used on the hardware with which it was supplied. If 2 years from now your server dies and you need to re-install on a new server you are not allowed to do so.
    • FPP: Full Packaged Product. This is a boxed full product that can be moved from machine to machine, and is usually sold by 3rd party vendors or your local computer shop
    • VOL: Volume licensing (there are variations such as Open/Value) This can also be moved machine to machine, software and licensing codes are managed on line, and there can be pricing and support advantages. This is sold by Microsoft partners.

Persoanly I prefer Volume licensing because the Microsoft partenr is far more familiar with licensing and can assure you have the right product.

Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:16 PM
  • OK, So I understand I'm better off contacting a Microsoft partner. Do you recommend one in particular (nationwide partner)? Do you know how to find them in a specific country (I'm in Canada)?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:34 PM
  • The following site may help you. It should provide Canadian partners if you enter your city.
    http://www.microsoft.com/canada/smb/solution-finder/microsoft-partner-solution-finder.aspx?sfsite=sbc_ca
    Which province, or city if willing to post here. I am east coast Canada, I may be able to recommend a Canadian contact.
    Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I am east coast Canada also. I'd certainly like a contact if possible.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:18 PM
  • I am a Microsoft partner, but not a reseller. I would recommend contacting Sheila Murphy at Dymaxion http://www.dymaxion.ca/ . She has specialized in licensing for years and is always very helpful.  If I can be of any help you can contact me through "I work at" on my profile.

Rob Williams
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Thank you so much Rob! I really appreciate the help you gave me today! It helped a ton!

Best regards,

NeilSanner

Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Good to buy the following combinations as a full-fledge MS-Win2008R2 for a Very SmallGroup

Small Business Server could be a waste of money and time for you. Simply stating its like a Win7 Starter Kit with stripprd functionalities. SBS SHOULD NOT BE YOUR CHOICE AT ALL UNLESS YOU BUY IT WITH PREMIUM ADD-ON ...

P73-04982  x 1 = $750 approx

R18-02709 x 10 = $330 aprox

6VC-01161 x 1  = $90 approx ; as a standby/emergency Remote Desktop Service User CAL

Software Assurance and RMS-Rights Mgmt is a better buy but depends on your present budget. 

Buy it from CDW.com if you need to spread your payments to many months,  Software Leasing

Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Thanks for that SRILANKA-VijithaFernando,

This is very helpful!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:11 PM