none
have 2 outlook.exe files on hd RRS feed

• Question

•  

My desktop computer running Windows 7 OS.

I have problems with Outlook 2007. as follows:

- Having problems to close down the computer. Althougt I have closed the Outlook, a message appears as if the program(outlook) was still open. I had to  use from time to time to force close.

- I have searched the outlook.exe files on desktop and found out there were two such files, with following properties.

1- Microsoft office outlook, file version: 12.0.6607.1000, date 03-08-2011 19:18 size 12.3 MB.

2- Microsoft office outlook, file version: 12.0.4518.1014, date 27-10-2006 16:16 size 12.2 MB.

Locations on HD. respectively:

C:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002119A10000000000000000F01FEC\12.0.6612

C:\windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002119A10000000000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518

On the other hand, there is only one instance of outlook in
    Programs and features.

I tried to repair the inconsistency using compatibility wizard.

Nothing seems have changed.

I do not want to delete either of the existing two outlook.exe files, fearing unexpected results may happen.

As a side effect (hope), I can not run the program as administrator, therfore, can not manage add ins which require the program to run as such.

Pleased to hear.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:16 PM

Answers

• It seems that you have two or more Outlook.exe process is running in the same time.
    In most cases this scenario happens if Add-ins runs which keeps the another Outlook.exe process open.

================================

The following is a short list of add-ins which are reported to keep Outlook running after it's closed. For your reference:

Outlook Change Notifier – Apple iTunes addin for syncing with iPhones, iPods etc.
    WinFax Pro. Disable WinFax or remove the WinFax Fax log from the profile. Remove them by opening Tools, Options, Mail Setup tab, Data Files and delete if present.
    ActiveSync (especially when a PDA is cradled)
    Blackberry software
    Stamps.com (when using address from Outlook's Contacts)
    Outlook Express (when sharing Contacts with the Windows Address Book (WAB)
    Franklin Covey Plan Plus
    Mapilab's Messenger Journal utility
    Earthlink's Spamblocker (the installation file is ELSBSetup.exe)
    Outlook Attachment Sniffer
    TechSmith's SnagIt 7 with Outlook integration enabled.
    Cloudmark Spamnet
    OneNote 2003 (with Outlook 2000)
    Fourelle Venturi Client
     Internet Download Manager – uninstall
    iProtectYou
    TMAntispam – the antispam part of Trend Micro's PCCillin Internet Security 2005 suite
    Infuzer
    FSecure 2005 antispam add-in
    Prophet 2004 (by Avidian) – check for updates
    Intuit Quickbooks
    iTunes calendar sync add-in
    iPhone Add-in
    ABBYY FineReader 9.0
    WMPNETWK or sharing files within MS media player 11

===============================

Thus, please try to run Outlook with safe mode. (Outlook.exe /safe) to check the result. If the issue won't persist in safe mode, please disable the suspicious add-ins in Outlook with the administrator permission. (right-click Outlook and choose "run as administrator".)

Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:03 AM