none
Adding monitor state to distributed application designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I’d like to add a state monitor in the distributed application designer, but I can’t find the entity monitor when I try to create new component group.  

Could I add a state monitor (healthy, warning or critical) in my distributed application?

Any help much appreciated

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:59 PM

Answers

• These will be automatic.  The DAD doesn't create new monitors - it arranges the monitors that already exist into the pictures you create.  You should not need to add a new state - and you don't want to ever target monitors at System.Entity (that would be very disruptive).

I think you may have a different question - is your question "I have a distributed application diagram that I have created, but the instances I have added to my diagram show up as unmonitored (empty green circle).  How can I figure out why the instances that I have added to my DAD diagram are showing up as unmonitored?"

There can be many reasons that an instance is unmonitored.  It may have no monitors defined on it (Seed classes often behave this way).  It may be that the instance is an aggregate, but it is disabled by groups in the system so nothing with a monitor targeting it rolls up to the instance you have selected.  If you use rules extensively, it is very likely that a lot of instances will not show up as monitored (you have to use Monitors instead of rules - targeting a given type - to get the green check mark)

Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:27 PM