Driver power state failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just updated my bios to the latest 1.4 from official website, now my windows vista has been giving me trouble every since i try to put the Samsung hard drive. anyway i decided i will do a full format and reinstall windows, but ever time i go into the boot menu of windows (reboot and load from CD) it starts copying file than crashes and it says driver power state failure. i have tried it number of times with the same message i have even tried active kill disk but still the same message. what could this be??? it's ever since i have had the new bios 1.4/Samsung hard drive initially started it all. just been getting errors ever since.

it's on my Raptor drive i have got the rest disconnected when installing windows vista, i have tried them connected with same problem.

Regards
    T
    OCZ PC8500 SLI 2GB 1066mhz
    150GB WD Raptor 10K  (C:\ Windows drive)
    2x500GB WD SE16 (D:\ and E:\)
    18x Sata DVD Writer
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Enermax Galaxy 1000w DXX PSU
    Zalman ultraquite 9500LED CPU Heatsink
    Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 12cm rear exhaust FAN
    Scythe Kama Meter temp/fan controller
    Thermaltake A2331 Media Lab Vfd Panel
    Coolermaster Musketeer 2 gauge
    24" Widescreen HP 1920x1200
    Dlink Xtreme 655 router Draft N

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I understand that BSOD appears when trying to boot from the Windows Vista DVD and the computer often crashes.

This is a kernel mode crash issue. Generally it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

From my point of view, this issue is mainly related to hardware such as the Samsung hard drive and BIOS. As different motherboards have different BIOS settings, I suggest contacting the computer manufacturer for detailed information.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:49 AM

All replies

• this is what happens exactly.

1) I insert vista disk and reboot,
    2) it copies files over and then reboots

3) it get stuck on this black screen for about 5-10minutes
    4) then the BSOD appears for 10 seconds saying that "Driver power state failure" with errors codes but to fast to write down.
    5) then goes into windows everything seems fine but it crashes now and then.

it's something to do with shutdown/hibernation and its every since I installed the new 1.4 Bios Offcial.

now when i got into power managment in the Bios i noticed a new option for USB resume to S3 which i was not there before.

Can anyone tell me what these options mean please?

PS i installed the bios from the disk -> then once done _> it swicthed the PC off including PSU -> did cmos clear for about 30sec and put pins back again on motherboard -> then powered everything back ON and went into motherboard and configured the to my setting.
    OCZ PC8500 SLI 2GB 1066mhz
    150GB WD Raptor 10K (C:\)
    2x500GB WD SE16 (D:\ & E:\)
    18x Sata DVD Writer
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Enermax Galaxy 1000w DXX PSU
    Zalman ultraquite 9500LED CPU Heatsink
    Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 12cm rear exhaust FAN
    Scythe Kama Meter temp/fan controller
    Thermaltake A2331 Media Lab Vfd Panel
    Coolermaster Musketeer 2 gauge
    24" Widescreen HP 1920x1200
    Dlink Xtreme 655 router Draft N
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:03 AM
  •  

Hi,

I understand that BSOD appears when trying to boot from the Windows Vista DVD and the computer often crashes.

This is a kernel mode crash issue. Generally it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

From my point of view, this issue is mainly related to hardware such as the Samsung hard drive and BIOS. As different motherboards have different BIOS settings, I suggest contacting the computer manufacturer for detailed information.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:49 AM