USB 3.0 host controller and USB Root Hub xHCI not showing up on Windows 8.1 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read the following message and 'maybe' attempt to help me with my current plight...

I have an HP envy m6 laptop running Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. The problem i am facing at current is that i have only 1 out of 4 usb ports working on my Windows 8.1 partition however on my Server 2012 partition, all four ports are working fine. After asking around i have come to the conclusion that i'm having a driver issue. I compared what was present on the Windows 7 USB controllers (in Device Manager) to what was present on the Windows 8.1 controllers and i found that my Intel(R) USB 3.0 extensible host controller - 0100 (Microsoft) and my USB Root Hub (xHCI) was missing on my Windows 8.1 partition. 

Now for some background....the problem first occurred when i was trying to solve an external hard drive issue in which none of my external hard drives where showing up when i plugged them into my usb ports, i came across an online solution telling me to uninstall all my USB drivers in device manager, restart the laptop and let the computer re install the drivers automatically, the result was that i only had 1 out of 4 ports working. Could someone please point me in the right direction in order to fix this problem? 

Friday, September 5, 2014 7:13 AM