Problems Printing Mail Merge Return Envelopes RRS feed

• Question

• I am ready to print out my envelopes using mail merge.  This isn't the 1st time.  For some reason, it won't print them.  Everything looks okay until I push the print button.  I even went so far as to buy a new printer thinking that was the problem.  Is it the program instead?
    Friday, October 26, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this issue, is the printer print the envelopes as blank or the printer didn’t print them at all?

If the printer prints as blank, then check the Formatting of the Font (color) in the Envelope Address Style. Change the color to Automatic. Some printers use a combination of the colored inks for it and if you do not have them it may not print.

If the issue is the second situation, then based on my research, if the envelop size is not retained by the printer, try to change the default printer to XPS printer or OneNote and check how it works. If it works fine , update or reinstall the printer driver and verify the status.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:29 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As this issue, is the printer print the envelopes as blank or the printer didn’t print them at all?

If the printer prints as blank, then check the Formatting of the Font (color) in the Envelope Address Style. Change the color to Automatic. Some printers use a combination of the colored inks for it and if you do not have them it may not print.

If the issue is the second situation, then based on my research, if the envelop size is not retained by the printer, try to change the default printer to XPS printer or OneNote and check how it works. If it works fine , update or reinstall the printer driver and verify the status.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support
    A new Office has arrived, try it now.
    A beautiful Start. It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:29 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Jaynet,  The envelopes are ready to print - all look okay. I can preview them before printing. Sometimes it will let me print the 1st envelope, sometimes not. Never will it print anymore than the 1st one. I was having printer issues about 3 weeks ago - someone came in & reinstalled the printer for me. My printer wouldn't work right from WordPerfect & he came & fixed that too. Now it won't print my envelopes from my Microsoft Office that I have been using since we had that program installed.  Not wanting to spend any more money on repairs, we purchased a new printer - an HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn & are having the same issues.   I know absolutely NOTHING about the drivers & such. I am 54 and this stuff does not come easy to me, but I am so willing to learn.  I will download whatever drivers etc that you tell me too.

You mentioned trying to change the default printer to XPS or OneNote to see how it works - can you give me more instructions for that? 

Thanks

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Jaynet,  Messed around with the printer settings, then clicked on default settings again.  Printed out my envelopes just like it used to!  Thanks for trying to help me.  I appreciate your time.  Cheryl
    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:41 PM