none
Correct bitlocker password & RecoveryKey Can't unlock my drive~!

Question

• Hi, 

Correct bitlocker password & RecoveryKey Can't unlock my drive !

I have an external drive encrypted by bitlocker, and works fine until........... I re-installed the OS One day.

I am petty sure the password is correct, but always  give me error: THE PASSWORD ENTERED IS INCORRECT.

I was trying to use my recovery key, But always says: The Key doesn't match this drive

I have double checked that this ReveryKey matches this drive.- see image below

BTW. I lost the External Key while re-install my OS.

Also tried Repair Tool using the Recovery Key, still no lucky, Here's result:

I don't know what else I can do to get my drive unlocked!

Any one can help me?

Thank you!!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:02 PM

Answers

• I finally got the drive unlocked !!! -- After install all windows 10 update patches!!

This might be a bug in certain version of windows 10.

1. If you have an OS (Windows 10, Pro, x64 -- I might be able to find the exact version number of it later) which installed all windows 10 updates  -> Encrypt your drive using bitlocker 

2. Reinstall OS  -- Your drive will NOT unlock even you have correct password or recovery key (just like above scenario I have).

You have to install certain windows 10 update patch (I don't know which one I got), then it just unlock as it should be.

The MVP guys in this forums even didn't asking what version of bitlocker I was using, AND ASKING ME TO NOT TO USE BITLOCKER. -- ARE YOU REALLY WORKING FOR MICROSOFT?

SPECIAL Thanks to MeipoXu , you are the one really reading my post, and even tried to test yourself by re-install OS, to reproduce the problem, Thank you for your help!

I am happy to provide more information on how to reproduce the issue(window version/ bitlocker version, steps etc.), just let me know if you need.

• Marked as answer by ljlijun Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:40 PM
    • Edited by ljlijun Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ljlijun,

The repair command lin with the the "Recovery key" should be "repair-bde -RecoveryKey  Volume:PathToRecoveryKey ".
    The unlock command line with recovery key should be "manage-bde –unlock F: -recoverykey "G:\Backupkeys\recoverykey.bek".
    Here are links for reference:
    Manage-bde: unlock
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829854.aspx

Repair-bde.exe Parameter Reference
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706528(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_recoverykey

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Thanks MeipoXu,

Waht I have is:

1. Password -- not work

2. A 48 digit Recovery Key  -- not work

I don't have *.BEK file which been lost when re-install OS.

My problem is:  I am petty sure Password is correct, but it does not work.  ALSO the 48 digit recovery key still not work as well.

Thanks

• Edited by ljlijun Thursday, December 24, 2015 7:21 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 7:04 AM
  • Hi ljlijun,

I know you are sure the recovery key is right.
    Please try to use the command line"repair-bde -RecoveryKey  Volume:PathToRecoveryKey " to repair the bitlock and use the command "manage-bde –unlock F: -recoverykey "G:\Backupkeys\recoverykey.bek" to have a test.

If the issue persists, please check the Event Viewer for any related error messages to troubleshoot this issue. If you have troubles in analyzing the log, please export them then upload them to OneDrive and paste the link here(Delete the link underline).
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application, System
    Event Viewer\Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Bitlocker

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Hi, 

I don't have the .BEK file.

what I have is: 

1. Password -- not work

2. A 48 digit Recovery Key  -- not work

I tried the command line using my 48 digit key and my password -- not work

manage-bde -unlock D: -recoverypassword  594968-423423-353782-033616-206074-438086-445203-675411 -- Error: The password failed to unlock volume D:

manage-bde -unlock D: -recoverypassword  MyPassword -- -- Error: The password failed to unlock volume D:

Also I checked the logEvent Viewer\Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Bitlocker -- not exists.

Event Viewer\Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Bitlocker-API -- All the event logs are old logs, does not have anything related with Unlock failed etc.

Event Viewer\Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Bitlocker-DriverPreparationTool -- empty, no logsEvent Viewer\Windows Logs\Application & system-- didn't see any new logs show up after I tried  to unlock the drive.

• Edited by ljlijun Thursday, December 24, 2015 4:02 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Yet another reason not to use bitlocker.  I suspect you will not get back in.  DO you have a backup you can restore from?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:21 PM
  • I wish I have a back up :( . But no, I don't have back up for most of the files on this drive. Only some documents been backed up with GoogleDrive and OneDrive.

Hopefully there is a way to "restore" my data or get access back on this drive.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Have you enabled group policy option to store the key file in network location. Add that one too. 

It will help you to recover in future.

Regards, Krselva. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if its helps you, and unmark the answers if it is not help you.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Does it help for my case? to unlock the current drive?

If so, please advice how to do it?

Thanks

Thursday, December 24, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

Mean to say you can take key file in server itself through below group policy.

Refer the below link you can get some idea.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/what-group-policy-settings-are-used-with-bitlocker

Regards, Krselva. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if its helps you, and unmark the answers if it is not help you.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 11:16 PM
  • Hi Krselva,

Thanks for your advice on the BitLocker policy settings.

But if I am reading it correctly, it only set up the group policy for later use. It does not help to bring my current locked drive back.

Most important thing for me is that unlock this drive, and bring my data back. 

Thanks for your information though. Is there anything else I can provide to diagnostic/ find out how to unlock my Drive?

BTW: this is a personal computer/drive, I have FULL access to do any configurations on this computer.

thanks

• Edited by ljlijun Friday, December 25, 2015 3:03 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2015 2:50 AM
  • Is there any possibility to get my data back?
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

We faced similar issue in client site, but issue is different. the entire OS got corrupted & we reinstall the OS.

After that all the files in the system got encrpted.

We used lot of options to recover none of them helped out.

Contacted third party vendor & decrypted the files since its very important.

• Proposed as answer by krselva Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZigZag3143xModerator Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:26 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:40 PM
  • Hi krselva,

" Error: The password failed to unlock volume D:"
    According to the previous post, the encrypted volume should be "F".

I have made a test on my side. Reinstalling the system won`t affect bitlocker. Bitlocker is based on the machine not the system. It seems that the present bitlock has been corrupted during the reinstalling process by coincidence. If the data is so important, we may need to contact the professional data recovery support for help as krselva suggested.

Best regards

Monday, December 28, 2015 6:23 AM
  • Please regardless the volume D: or F:, I was trying to unlock it in different computers. I was hoping I can get some lucky in different computers. but  :(  still haven't unlock it so far.

I saw some other people have the same problem as I have, and seems they end up with nothing, can't get their drive unlocked.

I guess MY DRIVE WON'T BE ABLE TO UNLOCK ANY MORE, and I was so disappoint with Microsoft that this issue happening for other people since Windows 7. Come on, Microsoft, it's window 10 now!!! I am still frustrating on the same issue since Windows 7. Especially this issue will cause ENTIRE DRIVE DATA LOST.

• Edited by ljlijun Monday, December 28, 2015 8:30 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hi  MeipoXu,

Reinstalling the OS suppose not to affect bitlocker -- I agree.

Please regardless the volume D: or F:, I was trying to unlock it in different computers, that's why the volume was different. I was hoping I can get some lucky in different computers. but  :(  still haven't unlock it so far.

I think I may in a special scenario, there might be something goes wrong on this encrypted disk (either bad sector, or encryption error or something else), I just don't know what's going wrong. And what should I do to provide more information (error log / screenshot/ run some command to get status on this locked drive etc.) to let you dig into what's happening, and help me out of this nightmare !

Thanks.

• Edited by ljlijun Monday, December 28, 2015 10:07 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any system backup or restore point created before you reinstalling the OS. If you have restore it again then decrypt it.

The only thing the host OS can decrypt the data as far as my concern.

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:48 PM
  • Hi Krselva,

I have 2 hard drives, the 1st one installs the system, the 2nd one is my data drive.

When I reinstall the OS, formatted the 1st drive, and start from scratch. no back up for it.

Krselva & MeipoXu:

I just run a command, to check the status of the encrypted drive:

manage-bde -status F:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -status F:
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume F: [Label Unknown]
    [Data Volume]

Size:                 Unknown GB
        BitLocker Version:    2.0
        Conversion Status:    Unknown
        Percentage Encrypted: Unknown%
    ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x80070057):
    The parameter is incorrect.

Does this help anything?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Hi,

As i said before we had faced same issues, we tried above command as well.

if its possible can you raise a case with microsoft and work on. otherwise there is no other option to contact third party vendors to decrypt.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:04 AM
  • Yet another reason not to use bitlocker.  I suspect you are wasting your time.  It is highly doubtful if the password and recovery key fail that you will be able to access the data.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:27 AM
  • I finally got the drive unlocked !!! -- After install all windows 10 update patches!!

This might be a bug in certain version of windows 10.

1. If you have an OS (Windows 10, Pro, x64 -- I might be able to find the exact version number of it later) which installed all windows 10 updates  -> Encrypt your drive using bitlocker 

2. Reinstall OS  -- Your drive will NOT unlock even you have correct password or recovery key (just like above scenario I have).

You have to install certain windows 10 update patch (I don't know which one I got), then it just unlock as it should be.

The MVP guys in this forums even didn't asking what version of bitlocker I was using, AND ASKING ME TO NOT TO USE BITLOCKER. -- ARE YOU REALLY WORKING FOR MICROSOFT?

SPECIAL Thanks to MeipoXu , you are the one really reading my post, and even tried to test yourself by re-install OS, to reproduce the problem, Thank you for your help!

I am happy to provide more information on how to reproduce the issue(window version/ bitlocker version, steps etc.), just let me know if you need.

• Marked as answer by ljlijun Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:40 PM
    • Edited by ljlijun Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:40 PM
  • ljlijun and others, I have some info for you that might be interesting even now that the drive is unlocked:

Win10 version 1511 introduces the new encryption method xts_aes which IS THE NEW DEFAULT!

So if you now wonder why this is important: it is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE!

So take win10 1511, encrypt a drive or a usb thumb drive, encrypt it and then try to unlock it on win7/8.x/10 (pre v1511), what result will you get? Exactly: "The key does not match the drive" or "password incorrect", because the older windows with its older bitlocker is NOT EVEN AWARE of xts_aes and instead of something like "unknown encryption format", it prefers to say the key is wrong.

So maybe your drive was encrypted on v1511? Because your command line screen shots show that while having problem, you were not on 1511 but on 10240.

So what should we all learn? DON'T encrypt mobile drives with xts_aes if you plan to read them anywhere but on win10 1511 - just that.

Regards and happy new year to all.

• Edited by Ronald Schilf Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by athmanb Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:44 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:22 PM
  • I believe I am having the same issue as you described. I rolled back from Win10 to Win7 and now I am locked out at the boot screen. I have tried all the commands listed on this forum and nothing works. What patches for Win10 did you install?
    Friday, January 1, 2016 12:01 AM
  • Abe, I wrote about the technical background, read the posting right above yours.

Solution for you (if you still have the recovery key printed or saved to an external medium): boot a win 10 v1511 setup, switch to the command line (by pressing shift together with F10) unlock and decrypt the drive on the command line. Therefore, you need to know the drive letter of the system drive as windows setup sees it, that means, it might not be c:. To find out the letter, use notepad's open dialogue (start notepad from the command line).

Then use bitlockers command line like this (assuming the system drive's letter is d:) to unlock the drive

manage-bde -unlock d: -rp 871263-231313-321333-123333-213333-333221

(insert your own recovery key)

Then decrypt it:

manage-bde -off d:

(this can take hours depending on the drive speed and size).

Afterwards you can boot normally.

Happy new year

• Edited by Ronald Schilf Friday, January 1, 2016 3:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Plarsen06 Friday, September 29, 2017 12:00 PM
    Friday, January 1, 2016 3:49 PM
  • I don't know what update patch I have installed. I knew I upgraded to windows 10 build 10586. That seems to be the latest windows 10 version.

My Guess is that there are 2 bitlocker versions. one if for win 7, 8.1, earlier version of win 10; and starting from windows 10 xxxx build, it included a new version of bitlocker. you may using the later version of windows 10 install disk to try to see if that unlock your drive.

Sunday, January 3, 2016 4:21 AM
  • Just read my replies. These are the facts.
    Monday, January 4, 2016 7:41 AM
  • if i change my windows 10 to windows 7 then this error will be correct?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:36 PM
  • i have also same issue with my bitlocker... i know my password and i have recovery key. but i don,t have TPM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Hassan, what do you mean by "if i change my windows 10 to windows 7 then this error will be correct?" - you encrypted using win10 v1511 and now you change back to win7 and cannot open the bitlocked drive? If so, yes, it's for the reason I described before: XTS-AES.
    Friday, September 9, 2016 9:45 AM
  • I have a similar problem

- password do not work
    - recovery key do not work
    - win10 1511
    - new XTS-AES 128 encryption
    - no tpm, just password and recovery key 
    - it is a internal ssd, i choose to encrypt the entire partition
    - multiboot 
    1. win 10 v1511
    2. win 10 v1511 bitlocker encrypted 

if i select the encrypted partition i can enter the password then bluescreen appears "unmountable bootdevice", then the automatic repair option recognizes a bitlocker volume and ask me to enter the recovery key, but at the end it says that the volume could not be recoverd with this key.

if i boot from the other windows partition without bitlocker i can see the drive. If i want to unlock the computer tells me that password and recoverykey are wrong.

may anyone can help me to get access to my data on that partition 

with kind regards

Friday, September 9, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Please explain the similarity, What other OS is involved?
    Friday, September 9, 2016 1:23 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

The similar things:

- correct password and recovery key are not working when trying to unlock bitlocker container from other OS
    - used bitlocker with windows 10 1511 and used XTS-AES 128 for encryption

C:\Windows\system32>manage-bde -status D:
    BitLocker-Laufwerkverschlüsselung: Konfigurationstool, Version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

Volume "D:" [Die Bezeichnung ist unbekannt.]
    [Datenvolume]

Größe:                        Unbekannt GB
        BitLocker-Version:            2.0
        Konvertierungsstatus:         Unbekannt
        Verschlüsselt (Prozent):      Unbekannt %
        Verschlüsselungsmethode:      XTS-AES 128
        Schutzstatus:                 Unbekannt
        Sperrungsstatus:              Gesperrt
        ID-Feld:                      Unbekannt
        Automatische Entsperrung:     Deaktiviert
        Schlüsselschutzvorrichtungen:
            Kennwort
            Externer Schlüssel
            Numerisches Kennwort

difference is that I tried to access the bitlocker container from windows 10 version 1511 which normaly should understand the xts-aes 128 format.

Do you know if the container is corrupt or is there a chance to decrypt that container... if i look at other "manage-bde -status" examples there are more details displayed instead of unknown.

the confusing thing is that 

- if i start the encrypted win10 i have to enter the bitlocker pw and this is working, but then a bluescreen appear and message "unmountable bootdevice" appears, then the computer restarts, and autorepair comes up and put a bitlocker window in front, because i have to enter the recovery password, if i enter it it want work.

Is there a way to tell that the container is ok?  

• Edited by AtotheB83 Friday, September 9, 2016 3:09 PM
    Friday, September 9, 2016 3:08 PM
  • There is no similarity, please start a new thread. I would only call it similar only if you used a downlevel OS like the author did.
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 1:50 PM
  • thank u. i have faced the same problem. i'll try this process and will inform you... :)

Friday, November 25, 2016 5:31 PM
  • It looks like I have the same problem that you were able to figure out. Can you explain how you installed a windows 10 update patch? I do not understand how you did this when you were not able to log in to your drive? As much direction and details you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks. 
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:54 PM
  • I answered in your other thread
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

The similar things:

- correct password and recovery key are not working when trying to unlock bitlocker container from other OS
    - used bitlocker with windows 10 1511 and used XTS-AES 128 for encryption

C:\Windows\system32>manage-bde -status D:
    BitLocker-Laufwerkverschlüsselung: Konfigurationstool, Version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

Volume "D:" [Die Bezeichnung ist unbekannt.]
    [Datenvolume]

Größe:                        Unbekannt GB
        BitLocker-Version:            2.0
        Konvertierungsstatus:         Unbekannt
        Verschlüsselt (Prozent):      Unbekannt %
        Verschlüsselungsmethode:      XTS-AES 128
        Schutzstatus:                 Unbekannt
        Sperrungsstatus:              Gesperrt
        ID-Feld:                      Unbekannt
        Automatische Entsperrung:     Deaktiviert
        Schlüsselschutzvorrichtungen:
            Kennwort
            Externer Schlüssel
            Numerisches Kennwort

difference is that I tried to access the bitlocker container from windows 10 version 1511 which normaly should understand the xts-aes 128 format.

Do you know if the container is corrupt or is there a chance to decrypt that container... if i look at other "manage-bde -status" examples there are more details displayed instead of unknown.

the confusing thing is that 

- if i start the encrypted win10 i have to enter the bitlocker pw and this is working, but then a bluescreen appear and message "unmountable bootdevice" appears, then the computer restarts, and autorepair comes up and put a bitlocker window in front, because i have to enter the recovery password, if i enter it it want work.

Is there a way to tell that the container is ok?  

Just acknowledged the exact same issue today, was encrypting my OS (and only laptop HDD) and checked "let BitLocker conduct system checks". Which needed a restart. At BitLocker sys check needed restart, my entered (and correct) PIN didn't work and my computer stated after only one (1x) PIN input that i'd tried to many wrong PIN inputs and asked for my recovery key (which i've had since i've saved my key from the BitLocker wizard on a usb stick). Once key put in, system booted to "UNMOUNTABLE BOOTDEVICE" BSOD and fall back to RECOVERY whatever (which honestly never recovered ANYTHING for me))

I've tried many things, like unmounting the drive and insert it (M1.2 to SATA cage/USB) in a same Windows 10 version plus super latest update patches to no success. Unable to unlock this drive with the correct key!

Tried as well all the "manage-bde/repair-bde" possibilities i've found to no success.

So to sum up, drive was not yet encrypted but in test mode, good recovery key was available but didn't worked, I've lost the a whole day of work DATAs (lucky me i have a yesterday's full backup) and i'm reinstalling everything now.

Summary = BitLocker is flawed and this is nothing else then a bug. Disappointed to say the least.

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Obuno,

I just spent hours going through the same issues as you. Inaccessible boot drive after Win10 (build 14393 - so it's not the <1511 XTS-AES compatibility issue that many other threads show) - during the "hardware test" phase - and recovery keys/passwords not working.

I tried to encrypt my drive in Windows 10 on a machine without TPM, so I set the mode to allow USB/Password authentication on boot via gpedit msc... Then tried enabling bitlocker, printed out my recovery key and backed it up to a USB stick, and let the machine go into the "hardware test" phase, after which it rebooted and I got stuck in apparently limbo - my recovery keys did not work, my password did not work, I'd get in a recovery boot loop, and when I did put the password in I'd get UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DEVICE bluescreens.

I was five seconds away from giving up - when I decided to boot into recovery via the Windows installation USB one more time and do a simple chkdsk /f on the drive.

When doing so, chkdsk said it found errors and corrected them - basically, it said it couldn't read the primary bootloader (makes sense, perhaps it was encrypted?) so it loaded the secondary.  Fine, I wasn't expecting too much. But then when I ran manage-bde again, it told me my system drive was FULLY DECRYPTED! This made sense, as the encryption had never actually started. 

I rebooted my machine, and EVERYTHING WORKED AND I GOT IN WINDOWS.

I know this sounds way too simple to be true, and trust me - I have 30 years of Windows experience and typically the "MVP" answers straight out of TechNet here are useless, and thinks like chkdsk and sfc /scannow NEVER work.

But this time it did - and I was in the exact situation as you. 

What I want to know is.. 

1. Why in the world does Automatic Repair not try an chkdsk /f in this kind of situation automatically, and

2. Why do the MS "MVP"s not even suggest something like this? I've seen tons of threads with my issue with no resolution.

3. Why this wouldn't actually be obvious.. The "hardware test" obviously set the main bootloader to mark the drive as "encrypted", but it clearly wasn't as encryption hadn't begun yet. So replacing this bootloader with the actual backup secondary would naturally fix the drive.  

Why the whole situation failed is beyond me - but I definitely have some new rules:

1. ALWAYS back up to an image before enabling bitlocker.

2. Don't enable bitlocker.

3. Don't look for help with microsoft MVPs.

4. Don't enable bitlocker.

I hope someone else sees this.. as I was pulling my hair out. Simple solution, that actually makes sense in this situation.

• Proposed as answer by wirex Sunday, September 10, 2017 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:09 AM
  • i faced same problem today. i have started updates for windows 10. upto how much updates will it work? and when the relative update patch installed, what's the process to unlock? just normal method (right-click on drive -> click unlock - > enter password) and will it work or something else?
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:10 AM
  • I had same problem, your post helped me

just for clarify, I think I used Bitlocker version 10.0.14393 for encryption but trying to unlock with version 10.0.10011

when I updated windows (I do not know which update, but I takes long time to install and several restarts), Bitlocker updated and unlocked drive. (I updated windows to build number 14393.447)

Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:01 AM
  • i have the same problem i dont know what can i do please help me i really need my files so much

Monday, July 3, 2017 1:06 AM
  • First try reinstalling windows 10 to the version which you used to encrypt the drive. If it still cannot decrypt the drive, you may need a BitLocker data recovery software such as Hasleo bitlocker data recovery.
    Monday, July 3, 2017 2:51 AM
  • i am having the same problem, what can i do? i am also using windows 10 and after reinstalling my OS the bit-locker key and password is nit working..
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Dear concern friend(s),

Absolutely, there is solution. 

My all important data were in D drive. I did re-partition to rest of the drives and installed windows 10 fresh. I noticed latter that the windows I reinstalled was different version than old I had in the machine.  After installing OS, my password and recovery keys both didn't work at first. I am in ICT field for more than last 20 years ! I encountered such problem for the 1st time ! So, to recover data I tried all my level best. A lot of help documents I read. I updated windows. Many updates completed -yet it did not work. For more than 3 days I didn't give up as I had very very important data and some never could be compensated ! 

But, on third day, after final update installed, I restarted the machine and bit-locker simply accepted my password!.

Thanks for the forum ! Final update and restart is the great solution.

Big lesson learnt -One copy backup is not enough and regular backup is the most

Sunday, July 9, 2017 12:42 AM
  • I had done a full update, but still bitlocker was not accepting my password. But i had followed the below link

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/14707268-3d5d-4b11-abf9-dbfa3bbbc56d/bitlocker-repairbde?forum=w7itprosecurity 

and finally unlocked & recovered all my data through Bitlocker repair-bde

Saturday, August 19, 2017 4:50 AM
  • I have the same issue can u please tell me which version of windows to install?

Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for posting this, it helped me get back into my computer.

My issue was a little different though.

I was locked out of a computer that had not been logged in in several months and didn't know the admin password. My plan was to boot into Windows 10 PE and reset the admin password from there, Unfortunately I got a key does not match error when trying to unlock the encrypted drive. My bitlocker key worked during the boot process when asked but would not work to unlock the drive in the Windows 10 PE environment, Using the command line after booting to a command prompt using the install media allowed me to unlock and decrypt the drive and kept me from having to reimage the machine.

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:00 PM
  • hi ljlijun,

i am facing the same issue .

can you plz give me a link where you install  windows 10 update patches?

kindly give me i will thankful to you.

Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:23 PM
  • yes, you can backup your data with this software

"M3 Bitlocker Recovery"

Monday, October 9, 2017 5:43 PM
  • please give the  exact version number of it coz i need to update , facing same problem here

Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Deleted
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:11 AM
  • have the same issue what should i do? is there any need to activate window to unlock it ?

BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key 

To verify that this is the correct recovery key, compare the start of the following identifier with the identifier value displayed on your PC.

Identifier:

66568350-B211-4893-AFE6-8E6B7A8851B6

If the above identifier matches the one displayed by your PC, then use the following key to unlock your drive.

Recovery Key:

490952-403546-230043-576246-690657-044297-602448-583990

If the above identifier doesn't match the one displayed by your PC, then this isn't the right key to unlock your drive.
    Try another recovery key, or refer to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=260589 for additional assis

replyyyyy

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:31 PM
  • same issue how i can resolve it suggest a procedure?????? 

• Proposed as answer by Shyam solar Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shyam solar Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:03 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:42 PM
  • This code saved my files: 

repair-bde F: E: -rp BitLockerRecoveryKey -F 

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:01 PM

• Hello ljlijun

I am having the same problem.

I have 2 partition on my hp laptop harddrive. one partition C: is use only for the windows and the other D: for my data. I locked D: with bitlocker about 7 months ago.
    3 days ago I reinstalled windows 10 and now my bitlocker is not accepting my password nor recovery key.

I am not a computer geek but I will try your suggestion to reinstall the windows and see if it works. please let me know if there is any other easy way to tackle this situation.

please help

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Friday I had almost the same issue with bitlocker. Enabled bitlocker, it asked to restart agreed and restarted the computer.

Filled in the password and an unhappy face showed up "Unmountable boot volume"my heart stopped....., maybe the password is wrong? Could it be, no, but lets try to recovery key. (it was printed out) also the recovery key was accepted, but again the unhappy face came with "Unmountable boot volume"..., What could I do? Lets go to the safe mode, its asking for the recovery key "INCORRECT recovery key" filled it in 15 times (correct but said incorrect). Trying to find answers @google doesn't really help. There is not a real solution for this except formatting the drive. (This was the last thing I could do, pictures of my baby on that hard drive and backup was 1 month old)

Removed the hard drive from the PC into an HD enclosure, connecting it to my notebook. A windows shows up asking for the password. Filling in the correct password..., "INCORRECT PASSWORD" lets try the recovery key... INVALID RECOVERY KEY'...

What else I could do? Lets use the support chat of Microsoft... First of all, dont even bother to contact them. They have no clue about solving problems. My grandfather knows more about computers.  

- Spoke with 7 agents, every time I had to explain the story. Boot from USB/DVD and reinstall Windows. (Ahum, that doesnt work when bitlocker is enabled.., the agent says "IT WORKS, this is what we do here". Lets try it, and indeed it does NOT work. The last agent was terrible and told me to go to a shop (im fixing PC's my whole life and its my full time job). After telling him that thats not the solution, he became aggressive and closed the chat.

After connecting it via an USB enclose again, the same question; passwords/recovery key not accepted. Decided to use a data recovery program. 
    - Recuva (Piriform) doesnt find anything. (Stopped after 7 hours)
    - GetDataBack, did find some files but most of the files changed name. But I kept it, you never know.
    - Last I used easeUS Data Recovery Wizard. This was able to recover all the files without any problems. It shows only 30 minutes (actually it took 3.5 hours)

It seems bitlocker did something with the MBR (or encrypted only the first few MB)...

Hope you can use this answer to get your data back if this happens to you!!!!

Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

I have taken the hard rive out of my Dell laptop that is running windows 10 and attached it with an adaptor , to axt as an external hard, to my older lap top, hp , that is running windows 7

I am putting in the correct bitlocker key but it says its not the correct one.

Do I have to attach it to a laptop running on windows 10 or there is another issue?

Thank you! 

Sunday, July 22, 2018 4:03 PM