Clarify DCH universal drivers in 1809 RRS feed

• Question

• I read a couple if articles using the term "required" when speaking of drivers for version 1809. That this is MS new standard for Windows 10.

Does Windows allow you to update anyway and either uninstall the old drivers or rep[lace them with generics or they are left as is, but not guaranteed to work in 1809, so that eventually individual components may one-by-one cease to work?

OR is it the case that Windows should be detecting the incompatibility and block your upgrade?

My PC works fine as far as I can tell so far, except that neither HDMI nor displayport works, so no external monitor. This is actually a major issue for me as the built in screen is the size of a phone. Intel has published a list of its graphics adapters having DCH drivers and mine is not one of them!

ARE USERS expected to determine on their own whether their system is compatible with 1809 ?!?

• Edited by OttIT Sunday, March 10, 2019 8:34 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2019 8:33 PM

Answers

• Intel will not be updating the driver for my model graphic adapter.

You seem to be saying that the mentions that Windows 1809 **REQUIRES** DCH drivers are inaccurate? 

If I understand your replies correctly, you are saying that older drivers *CAN* still continue to work.
    SO then what I wish to clarify still is ------ does this mean that they just won't be able to make use of some newer Win10 capabilities as they are introduced OR should we expect that even minimal functionality could get broken at any time as new Win10 coding obsoletes and breaks commands in older drivers?

I already confirmed with Intel I have the latest driver and been thru tons of troubleshooting with going back to generic and reloading; It was in fact installed and working for several weeks before I updated to 1809.

I am well past the 10 days to rollback Windows.
    *IF* DCH compatibility is the issue because it's "mandatory", I will have no choice but to reset manually and restore to 1803. But if you say this isn't correct, then there's still a chance to fix otherwise without resorting to that.

• Marked as answer by OttIT Monday, February 17, 2020 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your graphics card model?

If your graphic adapter isn’t in the list of adapters which support DCH driver, please check with Intel support if there is a legacy compatible driver for Windows 10 1809,then see if it can resolve the HDMI/displayportt issue.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 11, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Greetings!

DCH is a new standard for driver behavior, sure.

But as David_Ding2018 mentionned, whenever Intel provides his own driver support on Intel Download section for your graphical card, there is no way it can't be installed on 1809 version of Windows 10. Already done many times on client computers.

Perhaps you didn't find the good model on their website, their search indexer is not very relevant, you should work with "#th generation core i----" or keyboards like that if it's an embedded GPU.
    Monday, March 11, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Intel will not be updating the driver for my model graphic adapter.

You seem to be saying that the mentions that Windows 1809 **REQUIRES** DCH drivers are inaccurate? 

If I understand your replies correctly, you are saying that older drivers *CAN* still continue to work.
    SO then what I wish to clarify still is ------ does this mean that they just won't be able to make use of some newer Win10 capabilities as they are introduced OR should we expect that even minimal functionality could get broken at any time as new Win10 coding obsoletes and breaks commands in older drivers?

I already confirmed with Intel I have the latest driver and been thru tons of troubleshooting with going back to generic and reloading; It was in fact installed and working for several weeks before I updated to 1809.

I am well past the 10 days to rollback Windows.
    *IF* DCH compatibility is the issue because it's "mandatory", I will have no choice but to reset manually and restore to 1803. But if you say this isn't correct, then there's still a chance to fix otherwise without resorting to that.

• Marked as answer by OttIT Monday, February 17, 2020 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:39 PM
  • My case is resolved, my graphic ports issues were resolved while maintaining the non-DCH drivers, and now running 1909 without issue with the non-DCH drivers.

It happened to be a flukey situation that the battery monitor was misbehaving. Plugged in for days, reporting at 100%, but it was being treated like low power and turning off these ports. Unplugging the power cord resulted in either an exceptionally fast drain or wildly fluctuating while doing nothing. then I spotted ACPI errors in event viewer. Uninstalling, reinstalling, changing ACPI and battery control drivers didn't help.

The solution was to recalibrate the battery! It took a couple of cycles of forcibly draining it to 0 and recharging. Once it hit a reasonable full chargeup time per manufacturer expectations, the ports were working both plugged in and on battery :)

• Edited by OttIT Monday, February 17, 2020 12:29 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2020 12:26 AM