none
Fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 Pro - Windows update hangs on "Checking for updates..."

Question

• Hi everyone, I think I've got a fairly tricky problem here.

I just finished installing Windows 7 Pro (SP1 included) x64 on my laptop. Pretty much the first thing I did was go to check for updates. This was taking forever, and upon looking at the resource monitor, it appears that svchost (you can just which services it's hosting) was hung at %50, or one CPU core. No HDD activity to speak of, just a process spinning its wheels.

I've tried multiple troubleshooting steps, from running the Update readiness tool (Which didn't find anything wrong), resetting windows update using multiple tools, running an SFC (which said the system was in perfect condition), and of course rebooting several times in between.

Checking the CBS log file, there are many lines reading "Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800F0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]". Windows Update appears to soldier on past that however, where it apparently reads out its last cached package (successfully it would seem) then stop dead. When I net stop wuauserv, the log seems to mention TrustedInstaller a few times, then that's about all the interesting information I can gather.

The WindowsUpdate.log file is not terribly helpful either; just before the hang it says "PT: Synchronizing extended update info", then it lists off a ServiceId and Server URL. Nothing after that!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, August 31, 2015 11:21 PM

Answers

• Wanted to update here - after much perseverance (basically setting it to scan for updates then watching an episode of Narcos), it looks like Windows Update has gotten past whatever block it was sitting on. I've never seen Windows Update sit for so long before, but I guess that's what you've got to do.
    • Marked as answer by TGP1994 Monday, September 7, 2015 8:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:30 AM

All replies

• How do I reset Windows Update components?

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, August 31, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Hi S,

Thanks for your reply, but as I said, I've already reset Windows Updates multiple times. I should have been more specific, but I did follow the FixIt you linked to in that KB.

Monday, August 31, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Wanted to update here - after much perseverance (basically setting it to scan for updates then watching an episode of Narcos), it looks like Windows Update has gotten past whatever block it was sitting on. I've never seen Windows Update sit for so long before, but I guess that's what you've got to do.
    • Marked as answer by TGP1994 Monday, September 7, 2015 8:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm whether you have finished the “Check for Updates”. Your states “Windows Updates have gotten past” make me a little confused.

If you haven’t resolved it, I suggest you can check your network and firewall. You would better close the Windows Firewall and other anti-virus software because they are likely to block the updates.

Also, if necessary, you can try to start the Windows in clean boot mode so that the conflicting software will not block it.

The time which Windows Update takes is determined the number of updates you need to install and the network bandwidth and the performance of PC. 

Wish you have a nice experience in Windows.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015 8:55 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Sorry, I forgot to mark that as the answer. I have indeed finished checking for updates. Windows Update appeared to be stuck on something, and whatever that was, it has gotten past it. It just took a very, very long time.

Thanks!

Monday, September 7, 2015 8:57 PM