none
windows boot manager error-mdt pxe boot RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MDT 2012 and recently we are experiencing a problem when network booting. We are attempting to image 64 bit machines. We start the PXE process, it's assigned an IP address and then we get an error message stating that the Windows Boot Manager has an error. Either a file is missing or corrupt. The odd thing is that if we use the x86 boot image it will boot fine.

Forgive me for being somewhat dumb here, but is it ok to use the x86 boot image for a 64 bit machine? Or better yet can someone offer some suggestions into getting the 64 bit working. I have the properties tab checked to run on x86 or x64 platform.

One other note, I attempted to update the deployment share by rebuilding the boot image. I was watching the log as it ran and noticed that it stated "no x64 boot image found and it would create one". This is odd because I did this before and moved the image to WDS.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• We are using MDT 2012 and recently we are experiencing a problem when network booting. We are attempting to image 64 bit machines. We start the PXE process, it's assigned an IP address and then we get an error message stating that the Windows Boot Manager has an error. Either a file is missing or corrupt. The odd thing is that if we use the x86 boot image it will boot fine.

Forgive me for being somewhat dumb here, but is it ok to use the x86 boot image for a 64 bit machine? Or better yet can someone offer some suggestions into getting the 64 bit working. I have the properties tab checked to run on x86 or x64 platform.

One other note, I attempted to update the deployment share by rebuilding the boot image. I was watching the log as it ran and noticed that it stated "no x64 boot image found and it would create one". This is odd because I did this before and moved the image to WDS.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

You can use a X86 boot image to deploy a X64 OS. But you should really address the X64 boot image issue.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Now if someone can assist me with my 64 bit problem that would be great. I did look at the dism log and I noticed a warning stating Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\Boris\AppData\Local\Temp\2\5CD5339E-1393-4479-8F8C-ADC7C63F9246\MsiProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e) 

I don't know if this has any effect on the problem I'm having. 

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Now if someone can assist me with my 64 bit problem that would be great. I did look at the dism log and I noticed a warning stating Failed to Load the provider: C:\Users\Boris\AppData\Local\Temp\2\5CD5339E-1393-4479-8F8C-ADC7C63F9246\MsiProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e) 

I don't know if this has any effect on the problem I'm having. 

It looks like you my have a corrupt install. Re-install WAIK. Then delete the contents of the Boot folder in the Deployment Share. Then update the D.S. again.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Thanks again. I'll give this a try and let you know how it works out. I'll leave this post open until I know it worked.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:29 PM
  • I tried this and it's still not working. Any other thoughts? I was thinking maybe the deployment share is corrupt and though about creating a new share to see if that worked.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Now I built a new machine and wanted to sysprep and capture. I was able to start the capture sequence and sysprep. It went to restart and I'm getting the same message for the capture. So, not only can I not boot from a 64 bit machine but I can't capture it either. I've read until my eyes are bleeding and haven't found any answer. I checked the bootstrap.ini file also, just to be sure.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Bob

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Found the problem. Driver conflict caused the problem. Thanks anyway.
    • Marked as answer by Burntout Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:28 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:28 PM