Same username shown twice in login screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having many many problems with Vista (I have business edition). I was hopping that the updates are improving the system. This morning the machine installed update KB938979 but after the reset the logon screen started to display my username twice (the only user on the machine). I can log in by clicking either one of them. When I lock screen, both show "locked" under my username. How can fix this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:08 PM

Answers

• I experienced the same problem with the latest updates, I had seen the problem already when I initially upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.  The solution I found was to uninstall the OmniPass finger print reader software then reinstall it.  I did the same thing again and it fixed the problem again.  It appears that there is some issue with the way the OmniPass software hooks into the login process that causes this, there may be other authentication/login software with the same issue.  I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 systems and have seen posts form others about the same problem.

Hope this helps.

rwynd 

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:27 PM

All replies

• Same problem here. We are using Vista Home Premium, on a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this?
    Friday, August 31, 2007 3:52 AM
  • This also happened for me as of this morning after the windows update was applied. I am using Windows Vista Business on a Fujitsu Lifebook S6410P.

I haven't had any success in finding a solution on the net yet....
    Friday, August 31, 2007 8:46 AM
  • I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I installed the latest updates on my laptop and now I wish I hadn't bothered. If you find a solution can you please post it here and I'll do the same.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:47 AM
  • I experienced the same problem with the latest updates, I had seen the problem already when I initially upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.  The solution I found was to uninstall the OmniPass finger print reader software then reinstall it.  I did the same thing again and it fixed the problem again.  It appears that there is some issue with the way the OmniPass software hooks into the login process that causes this, there may be other authentication/login software with the same issue.  I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 systems and have seen posts form others about the same problem.

Hope this helps.

rwynd 

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Thanks a million! I uninstalled and reinstalled Omnipass and all is good!
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

It helped thanks a lot. I have the same laptop, and I also have another problem: check disk doesn't start when I schedule it to start up on the next boot. I've tried it with Vista that comes with the laptop and the business edition I've bought. It didn't work. I've found out posts about autochk.exe becoming corrupt,so  I've replaced it with the one from the install DVD, scheduled a check and nothing happened; the disk check didn't start. So i think there is a driver, software stopping autochk from running. I was wondering if you have the same problem.

Thanks
    Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:33 PM
  • The problem "magically" healed itself without me taking any action.

Monday, September 3, 2007 12:50 AM
  • hi

I have the same problem with the duplicate login.....I was hoping to get some help on how to solve it, I see that you said you uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it, well I uninstalled it, but then couldn't work out how to re-install it, so I ended up having to reinstall the OS again, but now Iv'e done that, the duplicate login has come on again any solutions???

Pete

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 11:24 AM
  • Hi rwynd,

I had the same problem with my Lenovo 3000 N100, however I don't have any install discs with which to put Omnipass back on to the machine. Did you have the installer in the pack when you brought the machine or did you get it online? If online could you please point me in the direction of where?

Many thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:11 PM
  • I have the same laptop, so in your hard drive you should see two directories one of them should be called swshare. Inside that directory, you can find all the programs that the installer installs after vista install. The folder names are not descriptive (i.e. you cannot find a folder name omnipass I think), by going to throught the directories I've figured which on of them containes omni pass.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Thank you SelimMRI, thats great.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I have a packard bell BU-45 laptop, with Windows Vista Home Premium running, but i cannot find the software for omnipass for when i will require to install it

CAN ANYBODY HELP???

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 9:28 PM
  • Peter,

There is a program called 'smart restore' on your computer. This can used to remove or reinstall omnipass.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:31 AM
  • I had the same problem on my Lenovo 3000 N100.  I uninstalled OmniPass and reinstalled from C:\swtools\drivers\fpra\setup.exe

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 7:39 PM
  • If I want to upgrade from Vista Business to Ultimate will I have to re-install programs?

Are there any advantages installing windows 64 bit version ?

Do 32 bit programs still run and is it necessary to reinstall with this version of windows?

Regards Nigel

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:13 PM