none
Windows 10 Enterprise (x64) freezing during sysprep RRS feed

• Question

• I  recently updated my MDT to Update 1 in order to start experimenting with a Windows 10 image however the following happens:

Windows 10 Enterprise base .wim installs. Goes to capture and on the 'Processing generalize phase SysPrep plugins' the capture just freezes. No idea what is happening and there is nothing in the logs. Simply frozen.

So I installed U2 to see if that fixed it. Nothing. Still freezes.

This is with my MDTBuild share. My MDTDeploy share works fine and deploys our Win7 image without issues.
    I am using HyperV 2012r2 to create the image so can delete and start again, but this is the third time the crash has happened.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Gareth

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:56 PM

Answers

• Well - we are going to have to consign this issue to the bin as I took the time today to completely rebuild my MDT server. Due to it being upgraded and updated over the years I decided that it was a mess and a complete rebuild was needed.

So I backed it all up and then using Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 6 I went about re-building it.

Put my deployment share back in first so I knew I could at least deploy WIn7 tomorrow if I needed to. I've now just successfully captured a test Windows 10 Enterprise image.

It works. Hoorah.

Thanks everyone - sorry I didn't get to the bottom of it, but I think it took me less time to rebuild that it would have to troubleshoot. Especially as I am no expert.

GJE

• Marked as answer by gjed Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:06 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:06 PM

All replies

• Are you sure it is freezing?  There isn't really progress output from Dism capture.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:40 PM
  • Well - of course I would look at the log files - but the machine freezes during the SysPrep and just before the capture bit.

I can restart the machine but then the account is locked and I cannot get in.

Any advice?

I thought about disabling the sysprep bit in the task sequence just to see what happens. Otherwise I might rebuild the server.

Gareth

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Hi

When you are saying freezes - what does that meens?

I have seen that the virtual machine freezes - but what was happing to me was the virtual Machine was going in powersaving mode.

The solutions was to disable this step in the virtual machine: https://osddeployment.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/build-and-capture-in-hyper-v-shutdown-unexpected-doing-wim-capture/

Hyper-V

I don't no if that's the case for you.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:02 PM
  • Maybe. What happens is that when the little window comes up that says 'Processing generalize phase SysPrep plugins' the progress bar goes left to right a few times for a few minutes and then the progress bar freezes. That's it - the only way forward is to quit the virtual machine.

I can boot up the virtual machine again - it goes to the logon screen but I cannot log in because the Admin account has already been disabled.

What am I missing?

Gareth

Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:51 PM
  • Are your permissions correct? https://keithga.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/mdt-uberbug11-security-vs-usability/  Boot to WinPE and pull the logs off of the machine and post them to OneDrive or something similar and share the link here.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:06 AM
  • I would assume they are correct because capturing a fresh Windows 7 image doesn't freeze the virtual machine.

Gareth

Friday, January 22, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi Gareth

Does it create a sysprep log??

Kind Regards

Per Larsen

Friday, January 22, 2016 9:51 PM
  • Well - we are going to have to consign this issue to the bin as I took the time today to completely rebuild my MDT server. Due to it being upgraded and updated over the years I decided that it was a mess and a complete rebuild was needed.

So I backed it all up and then using Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 6 I went about re-building it.

Put my deployment share back in first so I knew I could at least deploy WIn7 tomorrow if I needed to. I've now just successfully captured a test Windows 10 Enterprise image.

It works. Hoorah.

Thanks everyone - sorry I didn't get to the bottom of it, but I think it took me less time to rebuild that it would have to troubleshoot. Especially as I am no expert.

GJE

• Marked as answer by gjed Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:06 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:06 PM
  • I've just been experiencing exactly the same thing as you.

I got it working, and the only thing I did was to open the Unattend.xml in MDT for that deployment share, and then just save it, making no changes.  This appeared to work for me.

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:16 AM