Exchange 2003 and exchange 2010 SP2 coexist RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed a new Exchange 2010 SP2 server in our environment so its coexist with our old Exchange 2003 server. Now I need to reinstall the exchange 2010 SP2 server to SP1 version because a few applications doesn't work with SP2.

I haven't moved any mailboxes/distributionlist/users to the new exchange yet.

My questions

1: Which is the best way to perfom this downgrade(reinstall of ex2010) and make it works again as a coexist machine?

2: Can I save configuration for organization config and Server config?

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:38 PM

Answers

• It is not supported to go back to SP1 as far as I remember.  The schema has been extended already, so it wont be a complete uninstall if you attempt.  I would leave SP2 on as SP1 will no longer be fully supported from 13/01/2013 by MSFT, as you should move to SP2 now.

I would look into why the application isn;t working and work on that.

Sukh

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, November 12, 2012 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:08 PM
  • You can't move server roles, if that Exch server is live and has mbxs on it etc...and whatever other services, then you're going to have to plan how to move all that back to 2003 if you wish to take that route.

Or you can build a new SP1 server and move across to that.

I strongly suggest you focus on the CRM system.

What exactly doesn't work? Something simple as relaying? Logged a call with the vendor? Asked them why it doesn't work with SP2, it's almost been 1 year since it's been out and due to retire in under 2 months.

Sukh

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:21 PM

All replies

• It is not supported to go back to SP1 as far as I remember.  The schema has been extended already, so it wont be a complete uninstall if you attempt.  I would leave SP2 on as SP1 will no longer be fully supported from 13/01/2013 by MSFT, as you should move to SP2 now.

I would look into why the application isn;t working and work on that.

Sukh

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

I have installed a new Exchange 2010 SP2 server in our environment so its coexist with our old Exchange 2003 server. Now I need to reinstall the exchange 2010 SP2 server to SP1 version because a few applications doesn't work with SP2.

I haven't moved any mailboxes/distributionlist/users to the new exchange yet.

My questions

1: Which is the best way to perfom this downgrade(reinstall of ex2010) and make it works again as a coexist machine?

2: Can I save configuration for organization config and Server config?

Thanks for your help

You would have to uninstall Exchange from that server and reinstall the SP1 Setup clean on that server.

What doesnt work with SP2?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Our new CRM system.

How about serverroles? Can I move them back to 2003?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Our new CRM system.

How about serverroles? Can I move them back to 2003?

Not sure what you mean. Which Server Roles? Have you checked with the CRM vendor about making it work with SP2?
  • You can't move server roles, if that Exch server is live and has mbxs on it etc...and whatever other services, then you're going to have to plan how to move all that back to 2003 if you wish to take that route.

Or you can build a new SP1 server and move across to that.

I strongly suggest you focus on the CRM system.

What exactly doesn't work? Something simple as relaying? Logged a call with the vendor? Asked them why it doesn't work with SP2, it's almost been 1 year since it's been out and due to retire in under 2 months.

Sukh

• I think you upgraded in the wrong way since there is a specific path to follow.

Here is a high-level overview of the upgrade steps that you follow to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

First, you upgrade all Internet-facing Active Directory sites by doing the following:

1. Upgrade existing Exchange 2003 servers to Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2).
    2. Deploy Exchange 2010 servers in this order:
      1. Client Access
      2. Hub Transport
      3. Unified Messaging
      4. Mailbox
    3. Configure the Exchange 2003 front-end server and the Exchange 2010 Client Access server.
    4. Configure the Exchange 2010 Hub Transport server and the Unified Messaging servers.
    5. Move mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:50 AM