Windows 7 Screen Resolution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using a Dell Pc (Optiplex 980 Core i5) with a Dell LCD Monitor(20" 1600x900) and the built in Intel HD Graphics 

In windows XP I can change the resolution up to 1600 x 1200 but in windows 7 I cant get this resolution. the maximum possibile resolution is 1600 x 900. This is why the icon are large(100%).

I have downloaded and installed the graphics driver from Dell.

there is no devices without a proper driver in the device manager.

Can anybody tell me how I can achieve the same resolution in Windows 7 as the resolution I got in Windows XP?

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The 1600X900 is the proper resolution, why you want to change it to higher. I would like to advise that the LCD screen have a most appropriate resolution, the 1600X900 is that.

Meantime, because the display card already detected the proper resolution so that it can not be change to higher.

The situation why you can change it in the Windows XP, I assume that the display card has not detected the screen real resolution which can be supported.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, April 25, 2011 8:53 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:10 AM

All replies

• Try to install any Dell monitor drivers and see if that helps any.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Installed the driver came with the monitor. No change. the maximum resolution is 1600x900.

Tried with other monitor drivers from windows 7 (like digital Flat Panel 1600 x1200@75Hz) etc. But in the "Display settings" window, it shows only Dell IN2020 (the actual model of the monitor).

In the device manager it shows Generic PnP monitor(before updating the driver).

Actually in Window XP, the monitor is Default monitor.

Any Clue?

Monday, March 28, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

OK, please try to plug-out the display connection line and re-plug in again for a test.

This is caused by the display card can not detect the proper resolution which the screen can support.

Also, you may customize the resolution in the display card driver suite.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:43 AM
  • I had already done this.

The driver suite is actually from intel, and it shows only up to 1600x900 with this monitor.

But with another monitor it shows more resolution

still the problem is not solved.

Regards,

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

The 1600X900 is the proper resolution, why you want to change it to higher. I would like to advise that the LCD screen have a most appropriate resolution, the 1600X900 is that.

Meantime, because the display card already detected the proper resolution so that it can not be change to higher.

The situation why you can change it in the Windows XP, I assume that the display card has not detected the screen real resolution which can be supported.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, April 25, 2011 8:53 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:10 AM