none
Notes and Text Fields not visible at the project level on inserted tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a master schedule and inserted all the subproject files.  However, the notes and text fields don't seem to be inserted at the project level task but the lower level task are.  I am using 2010 professional non server.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:43 PM

Answers

• Leah12,

Pardon my jumping in. The Project Summary Task is not an actual task, it is simply a display convenience, hence the ID of 0. Therefore when you insert a subproject into a master, the subproject's Project Summary Task is not part of that link (i.e. you will not see it in the master).

Instead of having your users use the Notes field of the Project Summary Task, instead create your own top level summary task in each subproject. Put your notes on that task. Now when you insert the subprojects, the Notes field of that top level summary task will show at master level.

John

• Marked as answer by Leah12 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:39 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure about the question, are you not able to look at Notes field at 0 Level i.e. the Project Summary Tasks of the Projects or what? Do you have SP1 installed?

Sapna S

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:09 PM
  • I have MSOP 2010 Professional with SP1.

I open a new file to create as the master, Insert subproject files and the notes field at level 0 "Project Summary Level" do not show up.  The lower level task (outlined level 1 and below) seem to be displaying just fine.

What is the issue here?  We want schedule owners to insert in the notes field at the project summary level (level 0) any issues for the project.

Please help resolve.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I cannot reproduce the issue, please insert Note Column in the View and check if its capturing the Notes or not. Can you provide more detail, as if PMs are finding any error or what? Project doesn't seems to restrict adding Notes at Summary Level, may be if you can provide details on steps we can dig further.

Sapna S

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:36 PM
  • The problem isn't in entering data in the notes field at the project summary (level 0) task. The issue is that when I insert a project that has data in the notes field at the project summary level task the data disappears in the master file. 

So create a new file....project 1.  add some tasking...task 1...task 2...etc., add a note to the project summary line (level 0 task)....save project 1 and close.

Open a new file....insert project 1 as a subproject.  Look at the project summary level for project 1 and the notes are not there.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Can someone explain about outline level 0 tasks.  I cannot change the outline level to 1 on summary task.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Leah12,

Pardon my jumping in. The Project Summary Task is not an actual task, it is simply a display convenience, hence the ID of 0. Therefore when you insert a subproject into a master, the subproject's Project Summary Task is not part of that link (i.e. you will not see it in the master).

Instead of having your users use the Notes field of the Project Summary Task, instead create your own top level summary task in each subproject. Put your notes on that task. Now when you insert the subprojects, the Notes field of that top level summary task will show at master level.

John

• Marked as answer by Leah12 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks John,

I was suspecting that was probably the case.  Will propose that we have a additional task in the schedule to capture issues.

Leah12

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Leah12,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:34 AM