Installing Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer 4.5 Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am very new to App-V. 
    We are in the POC stage for Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer 4.5.
    Test  Enviornment:
    Windows Server enterprise 2008 64bit OS Which also my Domain Controller.
    Installed SQL 2005 SP2 64bit enterprise Edition
    Was able to successfully install APP-V Management Server and console.
    When I am Trying to install Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer 4.5 it shows the following

---------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer Requires that the following Requirements be installed on your computer prior to installing this application.Click ok to begin Installing these requirements:

Status       Requirement
    Pending    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable package (x86)

Install    Cancel           
    ---------------------------------------------------

First thing that concerns me is that why is it looking for X86 version when I have  SQL, OS, APP-V running X64 version.
    Secondly I tried Installing both X86 and x64 Version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable package but still Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer 4.5 intallation Fails.

Any thoughts?

Vamsi

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Although Management Server can be on x64 platform, neither Sequencer or Client is compatible with 64-bit. So you have to sequence and run virtual applications on 32-bit OSes and hence the requirement for 32-bit VC++ runtime.

64 -bit support is, by the current information, coming in sometime at 2010.

br,
    Kalle
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Normally the sequencer would be a separate machine or in many cases a Virtual machine running only the sequencer.

Look at the App-V 4.5 Sequencing Guide for additional guidance on sequencing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

As Kalle stated, the App-V Sequencer and Client do not support 64 bit.  Remember that the sequencer is a machine that only serves the purpose of Sequencing applications and serves no other role in the infrastructure.  After a sequence is completed it is then introduced into the infrastructure.  It will contain no other App-V software on it.

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Although Management Server can be on x64 platform, neither Sequencer or Client is compatible with 64-bit. So you have to sequence and run virtual applications on 32-bit OSes and hence the requirement for 32-bit VC++ runtime.

64 -bit support is, by the current information, coming in sometime at 2010.

br,
    Kalle
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:50 PM
  •  Thank you for the quick response.
    So do you mean , I have to Install App-V Sequencer on a Machine running 32 bit Server OS and could this be a different Server from the App-V Management Server.

Thanks You!

Vamsi.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Normally the sequencer would be a separate machine or in many cases a Virtual machine running only the sequencer.

Look at the App-V 4.5 Sequencing Guide for additional guidance on sequencing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

As Kalle stated, the App-V Sequencer and Client do not support 64 bit.  Remember that the sequencer is a machine that only serves the purpose of Sequencing applications and serves no other role in the infrastructure.  After a sequence is completed it is then introduced into the infrastructure.  It will contain no other App-V software on it.

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Thank you Sir.
    I will it on a different server.

Vamsi.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:24 PM