Trouble deleting books after upgrade from Proclarity 6.2 to 6.3 RRS feed

• Question

• We have just upgraded our development server to ProClarity 6.3 from 6.2.  We can create books and access books but we can not delete books or libraries.  When watching from Profiler, I can see the api calls occurring but the transaction then fails and rolls back.  On the user end we see 'An error occurred deleting the book 'book1' from the library'library1':'An OLE Exception occured 80040e21'

We are on sql server 2005 sp 2 with hot fix 3186.

I pulled the logic from the profiler and ran it through the query analyzer.  I worked fine for the selects but on the delete statement it appears to be trying to pass in the server name which is interesting because the server for the proclarity database and the server for iis is the same server.  the other interesting thing to me is that it does not seem to be passing the server name into the select queries or when we perform a rename on a book.

This is the error from the analyzer.

Msg 7202, Level 11, State 2, Line 1

Could not find server 'servername' in sys.servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If necessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.servers.

Any one else seen this behaviour?  It looked similiar to another post but that post has been answered, and I did not see the answer on the post.

Any and all help/ideas are appreciated,

Thanks

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:44 PM

Answers

• Are you able to connect to the PAS Admin Tool?  Do you experience the same issue trying to delete books there?  Is the error any different?  I found a solution from our knowledge base that has the same OLE error number but the text portion is different:

THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
    ProClarity Professional, ProClarity Analytics Server (PAS), and SQL Server 2005.

SYMPTOMS:
    When trying to re-publish a Briefing Book to the ProClarity Analytics Server (PAS) from Professional, you receive "An item with this name already exists." You may also receive OLE errors trying to delete users or other objects from the ProClarity Analytics Server Administration Tool.

CAUSE:
    PAS uses a database running on SQL server to store information about the users, queries and server configuration. The SQL server that is hosting this database has likely had its computer name changed and SQL has corrupted internal information regarding the name.

To verify this,:
    1. Run two different database queries and check the results.

select @@servername

and then run,

EXEC sp_helpserver

They should both return the name of the Windows computer hosting SQL. If either query does not return data matching the current name of the computer then you likely have the issue described above.

RESOLUTION:
    1. Run the sp_dropserver command to clear out existing server name information:

sp_dropserver @server = '<serverName>'

2. Run the sp_addserver command to add the correct name of the server (see the Computer Name tab of My Computer Properties for the correct local server name):

sp_addserver '<machineName>\<instanceName>', local

or,

sp_addserver '<machineName>', @local= 'local'

3. Restart the SQL service.

4. Restart the IIS service on the PAS machine.

5. Restart ProClarity Professional and retest deleting or publishing.

Unknown

MORE INFORMATION:
    Different versions of SQL Server may require different syntax to run these queries successfully. Please check Books Online for syntax regarding these commands.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

That sounds like an issue that we had shortly after the initial 6.3 release.  I would recommend installing the latest hot fix on your PAS, Dashboard, and Professional clients (if you have the Dashboard installed, obviously), then see if the issue persists.  The hot fixes are located here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=proclarity%206.3.2214&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps,

Bob

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the tip.  I had applied 2214 before, but in case I missed a step etc I reapplied it.  Same issue.  I then applied 2213 and laid 2214 on top if it in case the fixes were not cummulative and the same errors. 

Any other ideas?

Thank-you;

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Interesting issue Mark.  How did you perform the upgrade from 6.2 to 6.3?  Did you remove the 6.2 software, then install the 6.3 build pointing it to the existing database?

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, May 2, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Performed an uninstall/remove on 6.2 then installed 6.3 point to existing database, then installed hotfix.

Thanks,

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Are you able to connect to the PAS Admin Tool?  Do you experience the same issue trying to delete books there?  Is the error any different?  I found a solution from our knowledge base that has the same OLE error number but the text portion is different:

THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO:
    ProClarity Professional, ProClarity Analytics Server (PAS), and SQL Server 2005.

SYMPTOMS:
    When trying to re-publish a Briefing Book to the ProClarity Analytics Server (PAS) from Professional, you receive "An item with this name already exists." You may also receive OLE errors trying to delete users or other objects from the ProClarity Analytics Server Administration Tool.

CAUSE:
    PAS uses a database running on SQL server to store information about the users, queries and server configuration. The SQL server that is hosting this database has likely had its computer name changed and SQL has corrupted internal information regarding the name.

To verify this,:
    1. Run two different database queries and check the results.

select @@servername

and then run,

EXEC sp_helpserver

They should both return the name of the Windows computer hosting SQL. If either query does not return data matching the current name of the computer then you likely have the issue described above.

RESOLUTION:
    1. Run the sp_dropserver command to clear out existing server name information:

sp_dropserver @server = '<serverName>'

2. Run the sp_addserver command to add the correct name of the server (see the Computer Name tab of My Computer Properties for the correct local server name):

sp_addserver '<machineName>\<instanceName>', local

or,

sp_addserver '<machineName>', @local= 'local'

3. Restart the SQL service.

4. Restart the IIS service on the PAS machine.

5. Restart ProClarity Professional and retest deleting or publishing.

Unknown

MORE INFORMATION:
    Different versions of SQL Server may require different syntax to run these queries successfully. Please check Books Online for syntax regarding these commands.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Bob, that did the trick.  I did not realize that the server ever had a different name, clearly it did.  Thank-you very much,

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:35 PM
  • That's great to hear Mark.  That is definitely one of the strangest issues that I have run across supporting ProClarity. Have a great weekend!

-Bob

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:43 PM