Trusted Zone asks users to open PDF file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When a site is in the Intranet Zone and a user clicks on a PDF link, then the PDF file will just open without asking to Open/Download the file.

How can i get the same feature from a site that is in the Trusted Zone. I have tried to compare what settings is being applied in both zones but have not been able to find the one triggering that open/download dialog.

If you reset the Custom Level of the Trusted Zone to Medium-Low then you get the right behavior with no prompts when clicking PDF file in that zone.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please have a share with your IE and OS version?

And if I understanding the question rightly, you want to set the Intranet Zone the same behavior as the trusted Zone regarding the download prompt. As for the Intranet Zone, the download is considered as saft enough to pass the prompt confirmation, and if you want the prompt to cone back, we can try to set the security level for this zone to medium or higher. Or we may try to customize the download prompt by clicking custom level and navigate to the downloads, select Enable for automatic prompting, files, and fonts.

Here is some reference:

Microsoft website: Change Internet Explorer Security settings

Internet Explorer: No Download Prompt Appears

Please Note: Since this site is not host by Microsoft, the information may change without notice, Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

More information regarding the security zones, please take a look at the article below:

Chapter 4 - Security Zones

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi Michael,

It's IE9+ and Windows 7, Windows 8.1

I have a trusted site from which I do not want the Open/Download prompt. I just want IE to open the PDF without asking any questions.

I'll look the links you have sent, but I think I have been looking at them.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Hi Michael,

It's IE9+ and Windows 7, Windows 8.1

I have a trusted site from which I do not want the Open/Download prompt. I just want IE to open the PDF without asking any questions.

I'll look the links you have sent, but I think I have been looking at them.

And by the way this is all coursed by Office and IE not being aligned on the Security Zones. I have had a Premier case on InfoPath where we had to move away from using the Intranet zone because Office 2010+ and the authforwardlist does not look at the machines configured Security Zones. But that is a different story ;)
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

What is the situation by now?

Besides, for disable the download prompts, please also take a look at the following threads:

Automatic prompting for file downloads

Internet Explorer: Disable “Do you want to open or save this file?” download prompt

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by RFalken Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Hi Michael ,

I implemented "Internet Explorer: Disable "Do you want to open or save this file?" download prompt.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:39 AM