Error "The file or folder name contains characters that are not permitted. Please use a different name." in all Pages document library RRS feed

• Question

• Using MOSS 2007;

I've a site collection and recently restarted my Windows SharePoint Services Web Application service and that did some changes in SharePoint site. The pages in the some of the Pages document library is throwing the following error;

"The file or folder name contains characters that are not permitted. Please use a different name."

Detaching the page from layout is fixing this issue, however not sure why? and how to apply for all the pages document library in the site collection. Could anyone throw some light on this?

--Cheers

• Edited by Prasath C Monday, May 20, 2013 12:18 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 12:17 PM

Answers

• DO you have a copy of the web.config before the web application service was restarted? If yes, it is easy for you to replace the current web.config with that of the copy you have. Else, this third party blog might give you a start for troubleshooting. If all this is still not helping you, I would recommend you to open a case with the Microsoft SharePoint Support Team. An engineer would then be assigned to gather details, scope the issue, and perform active troubleshooting.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you cannot open some pages in the Pages library. I noticed that you have made some changes in the SharePoint site. What kind of changes are you referring?

Can you open the page in SharePoint designer to check the master page URL. Put the master page at the site collection level, use it's absolute path (/_catalogs/masterpage/new.master or ~sitecollection/_catalogs/masterpage/new.master) .Use a site local masterpage library and use (~site/_catalogs/masterpage/new.master).

For more information, please refer to this site:

MOSS 2007 Master Page File Reference Error – The file or folder name contains characters that are not permitted. Please use a different name.: http://nikspatel.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/moss-2007-master-page-file-reference-error-the-file-or-folder-name-contains-characters-that-are-not-permitted-please-use-a-different-name/

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Hi Entan,

I've already referred the link.

I've recently restarted the Web Application Services in the server from Central administration and that did lot of changes in the site collection. I'm able to fix the issue for the pages, but wanted to know the cause and how could I change that for entire site collection. Opening each page in the SPD and fixing will not be easy.

--Cheers

• Edited by Prasath C Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:28 AM
  • DO you have a copy of the web.config before the web application service was restarted? If yes, it is easy for you to replace the current web.config with that of the copy you have. Else, this third party blog might give you a start for troubleshooting. If all this is still not helping you, I would recommend you to open a case with the Microsoft SharePoint Support Team. An engineer would then be assigned to gather details, scope the issue, and perform active troubleshooting.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Yes, I had the web.config backup and restoring that did not solve the issue with master pages. 

--Cheers

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:25 AM
  • I've raised a support request with Microsoft. Will update the outcome.

--Cheers

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:05 AM
  • The  following <HttpModules> entry was commented. Removing the comments did the trick. The pages are now loading without any error.

<add name="PublishingHttpModule" type="Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingHttpModule, Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />

--Cheers

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:24 PM