How do I change the default view settings in Windows 7 Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• This question may have been answered in a different post, but I didn’t see it so I’m going to try it again. If it is answered in a post that I missed, please point me in that direction.

My problem/frustration with Windows 07 is that it constantly changes my view settings in Windows Explorer.

For example, when I store music, I go to “View,” “Sort by” and I get “Name” “#” Contributing Artist” “Album”. I don’t need those options, and I find it’s too cluttered. So I change the options to what I need, specifically, “Name” and “Type” and I like “Large Icons”.

However, every time I move the folder, or change something else within the folder, my settings are again changed, and I have to physically go in and reset every one of my settings so that it’s back to what I want.

Question: Is there any way I can get it to stop resetting my preferences and keep the folders as I set them in the first place?

Question: Is there any way I can make my preferences the default in the first place?

I really hate having to reset preferences every time I create a new folder, add a new file, or move a folder. It’s especially obnoxious if I am adding or moving several files at the same time.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:00 PM

Answers

• To answer your questions:

Question: Is there any way I can get it to stop resetting my preferences and keep the folders as I set them in the first place?

No way.

Question: Is there any way I can make my preferences the default in the first place?

No way.

These behaviors are by design. We have received several feedbacks regarding file view or sorting configurations. All feedbacks are noticed by proper department. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, November 22, 2010 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• To answer your questions:

No way.

No way.

These behaviors are by design. We have received several feedbacks regarding file view or sorting configurations. All feedbacks are noticed by proper department. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, November 22, 2010 5:34 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:28 AM
  • unless i am confused you are trying to get it so that the view is universal, as in all folders no matter where they are are displayed as large icons:

to do that open up explorer and go into any folder you want. change the view to whatever your want and then click the "Organize" button. should be in the top left on the folder tasks bar. go down and hit "Folder and Search Options" and then go to the view tab of the popup. Hit "Apply To All Folders". now all of your folders should display in large icons.

this unfortunately does not apply to your chosen details but at least you will have large icons in all your folders.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:27 AM
  • unless i am confused you are trying to get it so that the view is universal, as in all folders no matter where they are are displayed as large icons:

to do that open up explorer and go into any folder you want. change the view to whatever your want and then click the "Organize" button. should be in the top left on the folder tasks bar. go down and hit "Folder and Search Options" and then go to the view tab of the popup. Hit "Apply To All Folders". now all of your folders should display in large icons.

this unfortunately does not apply to your chosen details but at least you will have large icons in all your folders.

... so it basically doesn't work, right?

Anyone care to confirm that MS is trying to fix this? It's a major annoyance that I can't set "default view settings" in Win 7; that Win 7 can't remember a simple instruction on displaying files universally.

GG

Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:57 AM