Automatically Index-Creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have a simple question: Is it true, that Sharepoint automatically creates indexes to improve performance?

Best Regards

Marcel

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:20 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:55 AM

Answers

• Indexes are not created based on the items, for better performance, you need to set the index and crawl the content.
    --Cheers
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, June 27, 2011 1:33 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:31 AM

All replies

• Yes, SharePoint creates index when you create a site, those are 2 types
    -
    Portal_Content:    This index enables searching over portal site content. By default, this index contains the following content sources: This portal and People. If you have installed the document library component, the Document Library:document_library_name content source is also in this index.
    -
    Non_Portal_Content    This index enables searching over external content. By default, this index contains the following content source: Site directory

--Cheers
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

We discovered quite large performance issues within a workflow, when the connected list has a lot of items (>1000). Does sharepoint creates in such a case new indexes during runtime or do I have to set them by myself in order to speed up the queries?

Regards

Marcel

Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Indexes are not created based on the items, for better performance, you need to set the index and crawl the content.
    --Cheers
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, June 27, 2011 1:33 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:31 AM