How to remove the properties for an exe to be executed with admin right ? and let a standart user to execute it ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in our company we dont give admin rights to user and usually we use Process Explorer to identify the rights needed and give it to the user (instead of adding the user to the local admin group).

I have a problem with an application (CDFMonitor.exe). This application has, by default the "run with admin privilege" directly on the executable.

So the option to run as admin is not ticked  on the exe properties and so I can't unmark it.

It has been directly done in the exe file (probably with ACT ?)

My question is : How can I remove this setting, to let me find which right is really needed on the operating system ?

(Actually when I double click on the EXE with a no-admin user, I have the UAC prompt that ask me to enter an account with admin priv; and that's this behaviour that I want to remove.

thanks

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my windows version is on the tab compatibility a setting run always as administrator.

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:05 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 3:49 PM

All replies

• you could create a compatibility shim and set "runasInvoker"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638389(v=ws.10).aspx

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Right click on the .exe and choose properties.

Go to the compatibility tab and check the settings.

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Thank you . I tried this but how do you then generate the exe file to check if it works ?

If I click on "Run" it works but it's of course because ACT was launched with admin privileges.

@ahuibers : I tried to choose WinXP compat mode, etc. but nothing worked.

Monday, December 15, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

In my windows version is on the tab compatibility a setting run always as administrator.

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 8, 2015 2:05 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

I found the solution here : https://dandini.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/run-applications-as-restricted-user-in-windows-7-runasinvoker/

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:09 PM