Determine which SIP Domains You Federated With RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

We have SfB Server 2015 with Open Enhanced Federation. We are considering changing to Allowed Partner Domain/Enhanced federation but before we do that we need to know which SIP domains we are currently communicating with. Is there an easy way to do this, possibly a SQL query to run on the LcsCDR database?

Cheers

C

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi

Based in your description, I understand that you want to check which organization you federated with, based on my research, for Lync server side, there is no method to find this out.

With Discovered Partner Domain federation, Skype or Lync accepts any SIP domain name and uses DNS records to locate the partner organization's Access Edge server. What makes this possible is the interaction with the public DNS records that are created by the partner organization. The partner organization needs to create two DNS records:
    1.A DNS SRV record specifying the domain. It should follow the format _sipfederationtls._tcp.domain.com. The port value for the SRV record should be TCP 5061.
    2.A DNS A record containing the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the Access Edge server. It should follow the format sip.domain.com.

Please refer to the following about discover Partner domain
    http://www.itprotoday.com/skype-business/understanding-main-types-federation-skype-and-lync-environments

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Yeah, I know how the different types of Federation work.

What I was wondering is if there is a way to determine which SIP domains my users are communicating with. The LCsCDR database records all communication so I was wondering if there was a query i could run that would return the all those external SIP domains?

Cheers
    C

Thursday, April 5, 2018 3:26 AM
  • Hi broonster,

Thanks for your response.

Based on my research, there is no method to check this in server side.

It seems that the backend database not have this information neither.

For your scene, you want to set to allowed partner domain, you can just add your partner organizations' SIP domains to the list of federated domains in the control panel.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 6, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Have you looked at Pat Richard's oneliner Powershell script, to query the edge eventlogs? https://www.ucunleashed.com/2256

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.
    Blog
    Skype Validator - Used to assist in the validation and documentation of Skype for Business/Lync Server.

Friday, April 6, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Have you looked at Pat Richard's oneliner Powershell script, to query the edge eventlogs? https://www.ucunleashed.com/2256

Blog
    Skype Validator - Used to assist in the validation and documentation of Skype for Business/Lync Server.

Michael,

That's a very interesting post indeed, thank you. However it looks as though it will only return results for "discovered" partners. We have open federation but some of our partners use "enhanced" or "direct" federation and I don't think the command in that post will return records for those will it?

Cheers
    C

Saturday, April 7, 2018 1:35 AM

Blog

Michael,

That's a very interesting post indeed, thank you. However it looks as though it will only return results for "discovered" partners. We have open federation but some of our partners use "enhanced" or "direct" federation and I don't think the command in that post will return records for those will it?

Cheers
    C

Yes, it seems that the command won't return the records.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:41 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Are there any update about this issue?

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, April 16, 2018 9:35 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:35 AM
  • If the rely is helpful to you, please mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:33 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 9:36 AM