This error comes up each time I open my computer how do I correct it RRS feed

• Question

• HKey_Local_machine\software\Intel\wireless\EvTrace\Eng
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:01 PM

All replies

• Your question is not clear, you'd better post more and much detailed informations.
    I presume it could be something related to the software and drivers related to your Intel wireless NIC: check the Windows logs ("System" and "Application", above all) in the Event viewer to see if there's any record related to the problem you're experimenting: may be it could be solved by removing and re-installing the drivers.
    Also use Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to see if any application tries to access that registry key: pay attention to the attempted operations and the reported results.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi Kathleen;

That class of error is most often associated with basic OS functions. Yours MAY have something to do with icons or some other similar basic feature. I suspect that you may have a lot of processes trying to all load up at once competing for processor time and somewhat overwhelming it at startup.

Without more details of other co-existant symptoms (if any) it's hard to nail down the exact problem but I will tell you what I did to correct a problem I had similar to what I think you have going on.

1 If you have an older processor driving your XP sp3, upgrade it  to the fastest speed your processor slot will accommodate.

2. Try to get at least 2gb of RAM if you don't already have that much

3. Get a good 3rd party defrag to keep your drive working as optimally as possible.

I've noticed that i tend to get way more random unexplainable problems when I neglect regularly defragmenting the drive. Also as the drive gets fuller

the fragmentation becomes worse exponentially. My solution on past systems I've used has been to install a 3rd party defragmentor that can run

automatically and transparently so I actually end up using it as often as needed and so  this whole aspect of normal maintenance actually gets done.

There are a lot of good ones out there. Get more info here: TOP DEFRAG REVIEW 2011

The goal we're after is to speed up and unburden your processor as much as possible so all OS functions are executed completely. If you can only afford 2 of the 3 recommendations go for 2 and 3 as they are less expensive and probably enough in most cases.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:21 PM