none
DPM 2010 does not allow to restore a database to a file share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I've a customer which usees DPM 2010 and Exchange 2010 SP1 is not able to browse with DPM console to the mailboxlevel of one database. There are other databases where it's possible to browse to mailboxlevel. Therefore it's not possible to restore this database to a file share (option is greyed out)

Any idea ?

Best regards

Max

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Max,

What is the Exchange "state" of this database ?

Does this database host mailbox ? 

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

the Exchange database is mounted and there are more than 50 mailboxes.

Max

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

Does your customer use DAG ?

See this post, it's not same issue as yours (DPM2012) but maybe it could help: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmexchbackup/thread/d29829b3-17cf-45d8-9a66-281160c09c53

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Hi Stephane,

my customer doesn't have a DAG running. The related post did not help. Very strange behaviour because I'm sure that some months ago I was able to see mailboxes below this database.

Max

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hi Max,

At this time, i have no idea of what is wrong with your configuration.

I hope someone else could help you.

Stephane

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi Max,

My last try :)

If it's works before you most likely have a domain policy that is removing some default permissions.

You may move the DPM server into a seperate OU and block inheritance and see what happens.

Stephane

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Max,

this is most likely due to the SG of DB being renamed while being protected by DPM which is not supported.  What happens is that the caption of the Exchange VSS writer changes( if the information store is restarted) but DPM does not get updated.  It happens in DPM2007 and DPM2010.

this is an article from DPM2007 - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d81f36aa-f4da-412f-835e-369402157d8e/after-renaming-exchange-2007-storage-groups-dpm-2010-cant-find-them

DPM2010 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399076.aspx

With DPM2007 and DPM2010 once its broke there is not a way to fix it. The thing to remember is to remove protection, rename SG, restart the exchange IS, then reprotect. 

In fact it happens still in DPM2012 but there is a way to update even if protection was enabled during the renaming of the SG.  The key is restarting the Exchange information so that it updates the caption on the writers.  Then remove protection (retain data) and reprotect.

DPM2012\Sp1 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757927.aspx

To rename a protected storage group, complete the following procedure.

To change the name of a protected storage group

1. Rename the storage group.

2. Restart the information store.

3. Stop the protection with retain data.

4. Reprotect the database.

If you do not reprotect the database, the backups will continue to work, but the mailbox enumeration will fail.

WarningWarning
    Recovery to the original location from the recovery points that were created before you renamed the storage group will fail. To recover from those recovery points, rename the storage group to the old name .

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:17 AM