ScanFile directory fills up hard disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem where the ScanFile directory

Located here:  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ScanFile

Continues to fill up the disk space on our Windows 2008 Server.  I have deleted this directory many times, but it always seems to rebuild itself somehow.  It grows by about 500 MB each day, so after a few weeks, it tends to be about 15-20GB in size, and eventually my disk space on C: runs out.

I'm not really familiar with what this directory does and why it is needed, but if there's a way to disable it, that would be great.  I know that the SoftwareDistribution directory is mainly used by Windows Update, but I thought that the Windows Update files were located under the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.  Also all my patches are up to date, so there shouldn't be much of anything for Windows Update to be downloading anyways.

This problem does not seem to be limited to just one server either, I have a few other Windows Server 2008 machines with similiar disk space issues resulting from this folder.  It didn't appear to be a problem prior to applying SP2, but I don't know for sure.

Server OS:  Windows 2008 Enterprise w/SP2
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Definitely it is a virus affection. Use a good antivirus software and find the program which produces the scanfile and kill it immediately before destroying your system fully

Regards from  www.windowsadmin.in | www.exchangeonline.in
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, February 5, 2010 3:32 AM
    • Edited by ManU PhiliP Monday, January 20, 2014 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Definitely it is a virus affection. Use a good antivirus software and find the program which produces the scanfile and kill it immediately before destroying your system fully

Regards from  www.windowsadmin.in | www.exchangeonline.in
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, February 5, 2010 3:32 AM
    • Edited by ManU PhiliP Monday, January 20, 2014 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:23 PM
  • ScanFile is a document scanning software that runs in a client/server installation. If that is the case and you find xxxxxxxx.SCF, or xxxxxxxx.SCL subfolders, this means that these are ScanFile folders and contain the scanned images. Check if you have ScanFile software installed.

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I just have the same problem. Every day a new folder is created inside C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ScanFile

I alrdy rename SoftwareDistributionfolder and let windows create it again, but still the same problem persists ...folders inside scanfile are being created every day

Right now I'm running McAfee antivirus. Did djcgmcse user get the solution?

Thanks!!

• Edited by HamiltonH Monday, January 20, 2014 4:03 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 4:03 PM