none
Where can I get support for a DPM 2010 SQL DB error? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm getting the generic DPM 2010 Event 945 error and I started a Premier support incident to solve it 2 months ago, but even paid support is so poor my issue is still well - an issue.  What follows is a report (minus the names) I'm going to be posting far and wide until I can either get support or migrate to another product that does provide support.

In December of 2010, after upgrading a working instance of DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 our tape backups began failing with error Event ID 945 which is linked to DPM SQL DB link failure.  We researched the error on the TechNet forums and we found that the recommended solution was to contact Microsoft support, and have the SQL logs analyzed.

So back on December 21st we started a support incident.  Our SR number is *****************

*Tech1* began work working with us on January 5<sup>th</sup>.  He looked at the server and uploaded the system error logs and by January 18<sup>th</sup> he concluded:

“We have gone through the logs and events sent by you. I see a lot SQL time out errors which could be causing DPM service crash. I am collaborating with SQL team to see why these time out errors are coming up. It could be possible that due to SQL database issues the tape backup are be failing. “ 

On January 19<sup>th</sup> we were contacted by *SQLTech1* who logged on to our system remotely and looked around and on January 25<sup>th</sup> he requested that we run the PSSDIAG program to record data when the issue occurs.

We ran PSSDIAG and by February 2<sup>nd</sup> we had a 24 hour period when the failure occurred and a 50GB  log file. *SQLTech1* requested that we upload it in 2 GB pieces to a Microsoft FTP site.  I split the logs and then compressed them to 2 files under 2 GBs each.  When I began to upload them I noticed that the upload speed was as low as 100 Kbps and it would take 14 hours to upload each file.   *SQLTech1*told me that the slow connection was on my end even though the universities upstream and downstream speeds average 20 Mbps. 

By Febuary 10<sup>th</sup> we had uploaded the set of compressed log files and *SQLTech1* said he would analyze them and get back to me by the end of the day

Febuary 11<sup>th</sup> *SQLTech1 e-mailed that his shift had changed and that another engineer would contact me on Monday the 14<sup>th</sup>. No other agent did. 

After a week, on February 24<sup>th</sup> I contacted Microsoft CS and asked them what happened.  They said that they are actually a separate agency and  they had no idea, but would contact the support agency and they would get back to me in 24 hours.

A few hours later I was contacted by *SQLTech2* who was taking over the case and told me: “I would like to you know that the files updated by you ( by latest - ****Output1) is corrupted.

Therefore not able to extract its contents . As per our discussion you are providing us the latest files for our analysis.”

After making certain *SQLTech2* could access the universities Xythos file Sharing site I uploaded the log files to the server in 15 minutes and e-mailed a link to him.  He said he would analyze the files and call me the next day.  He did not.  4 days passed.

On Monday the 28<sup>th</sup> at 5:30 PM I received an e-mail from *SQLTech3* colleague of *Tech2* ( who I have never spoken with) who was initially working with you on this case from the SQL Server Team. As his working hours has changed I have taken the ownership of this case. You can reach me using the contact information below, and referencing the case ID ************  I’ll be available from 9:00AM to 6:00PM PST.

I called him today, March 1<sup>st, </sup> but his line was busy, so I left a message at 10:00 am.  He hasn’t called back yet.

I call Microsoft Premier Support at 1-800-936-3100 and ask whether there are any other options for support

12:03 I spoke with *CSPerson1* with customer service and gave our info.  I asked who to complain to about this case. She said that she can fill out a form. She can also have the support agency call me back in 24 hours.  They haven't yet.

I have 2 questions for the forum:

1. Can anyone please, recommend another support option so I can get this issue solved?  I'm willing to pay - thousands (really) if need be, but I need this fixed!

2.  Is there anything I can do differently to change this lack of support, I'm human, I make mistakes, but I can learn.  Please tell me what I need to do to change this outcome. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Ivan

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Ivan,

Let me look into the details and status of your open case and see what needs to be done to make progress and find a solution to your problem.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Thanks to Mike for trying to escalate this issue.

The answer to the question: "Where can I get support for a DPM 2010 SQL DB error?" is nowhere. You can't. It doesn't exist.

When you have this type of error and you need an MS DPM SQL engineer to troubleshoot the issue they cannot or will not solve it, even after you escalate it, even after you give them 6 months to work on it.  What they will do is misdirect you and waste hours and hours of your time.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, where your nightly tape backups are failing because of an SQL DB deadlock error that occurs around midnight, I recommend that you reschedule the backups to run during the day as a workround.   Then when you have time; manually catalogue all your DPM jobs, run tape backups of all jobs and reformat the server, install the OS, perform a clean install of DPM 2010 and reconfigure the jobs.  I'm hopeful this will solve the issue because it appears to have been caused by a DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 upgrade.  And it will take less time than I've already spent going in circles with the MS techs.

Ivan Polk

Ivan
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:31 PM