none
How to set up Group Policy without any server installed

Question

• How to set up Group Policy on Win8 without any server installed?

I have set up 50 users on LAN and want to push softwares via one common point. From google I found to deploy Software using Group Policy. But then Group Policy occurs in Servers and I don't have any server set up.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 10:21 AM

Answers

• what will your common point be if it is not a server? Consider all 50 clients will need to communicate to that point. Windows client OS have a hard limit in the amount of connections they allow (10 or 20 depending version).

Note group policy depends on more than just having a server. Apart from installing Active Directory, you will need to add all client computers to the domain.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, March 05, 2015 11:01 AM
  • Hello,

a Domain requires at least one Windows server OS machine which has Active Directory installed.

As previous already mentioned from SenneVL this also requires that computers are added to the domain and that you create user accounts in Active Directory users and computers which stores the account information in the Active directory database.

In your case with single computers each machine has its own database(SAM) which stores passwords etc. this is different in a domain.

Each computer has a local policy which will be overwritten from centrally managed policies from the domain.

"The common point would be my PC (Admin PC) ."

This machine can not be used for your needs with software installation for 50 computers.

"How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy."

This is about the local machine and you cannot manage them for other computers from your Admin PC.

"DOMAIN part: By default Microsoft takes everyone on Workgroup. Is that not a default DOMAIN? or should I make one lets say "ABC" on every PC ?"

NO, this is NOT a domain. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-difference-between-a-domain-a-workgroup-and-a-homegroup

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Thursday, March 05, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• what will your common point be if it is not a server? Consider all 50 clients will need to communicate to that point. Windows client OS have a hard limit in the amount of connections they allow (10 or 20 depending version).

Note group policy depends on more than just having a server. Apart from installing Active Directory, you will need to add all client computers to the domain.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, March 05, 2015 11:01 AM
  • I user Win8.1 while others use Win7 mostly and few on Win8

The common point would be my PC (Admin PC) . Either from any Microsoft builtin addon feature if any OR from any software that does this push job.

I managed to find this link below which says:How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307882#

It completes few of my ideas but I would want to apply these settings on 50 computers and not on mine. the link above is for local computer, that's mine.

DOMAIN part: By default Microsoft takes everyone on Workgroup. Is that not a default DOMAIN? or should I make one lets say "ABC" on every PC ?

Thursday, March 05, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Hello,

a Domain requires at least one Windows server OS machine which has Active Directory installed.

As previous already mentioned from SenneVL this also requires that computers are added to the domain and that you create user accounts in Active Directory users and computers which stores the account information in the Active directory database.

In your case with single computers each machine has its own database(SAM) which stores passwords etc. this is different in a domain.

Each computer has a local policy which will be overwritten from centrally managed policies from the domain.

"The common point would be my PC (Admin PC) ."

This machine can not be used for your needs with software installation for 50 computers.

"How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy."

This is about the local machine and you cannot manage them for other computers from your Admin PC.

"DOMAIN part: By default Microsoft takes everyone on Workgroup. Is that not a default DOMAIN? or should I make one lets say "ABC" on every PC ?"

NO, this is NOT a domain. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-difference-between-a-domain-a-workgroup-and-a-homegroup

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Thursday, March 05, 2015 1:52 PM