AppV 5.1 Package won't run with redirected documents Event ID 18005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have sequenced an application called MultiSim which works fine for all users when their account is outside an OU which does not redirect their documents folder.  If we move them to the correct OU the app fails to launch.  I've noticed that when it does work, a folder gets created c:\users\username\documents\National Instruments.  When the docs folder is redirected, this folder does not get created.

Event Logs (Operational)

6012: Automatic service NISystemWebServer could not be started.

6007: DependentService NiSvcLoc failed to start due to error 1AA0222A-0000041D.

6006: Service NiSvcLoc failed to start due to error 1AA0222A-0000041D.

Event Logs (Virtual Applications)

18005: The virtual application 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\1C4904AE-171C-430D-8A77-F859DFB66694\213CFC58-7F89-446A-A2E7-0AAE6A2FA809\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 14.0\multisim.exe' could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300A0A-0x20005}

Friday, March 3, 2017 12:08 PM

Answers

• ok so in the end it was redirected start menu.  No amount of permission tricks would work.

Removed it in the end and did a few group policies and scripts to ensure the default start menu was ok.

• Marked as answer by GlenHarrison Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• This folder is not being created for any user with folder redirection of documents

C:\Users\username\appdata\local\microsoft\appv\client\793FF7E3-53AD-4F67-AF24-7E491A9240E9

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:26 PM
  • That's very interesting.  Have you tried turning on the App-V debug logs to see if they tell you anything?  Sometimes the debug logs are really good at pinpointing the problem.

Any chance in your capture, you have anything being written to the my documents folder?
    One thing I have seen but back in 4.6, was an application stored the location of the mydocuments folder somewhere in its own part of registry.  Because my capture machine doesn't have the mydocuments path redirected, the app wasn't working properly on a proper test machine (it wasn't crashing, but couldn't write the files).

Check in your package under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders, and see if anything was captured there.

Also, try searching your package registry for anything that it might be storing the path inside the .appv.

Maybe just as a test, if your capture machine doesn't have redirected documents folder, can you manually set the documents folder to the redirected place (for example, S:\My Documents) and recapture?  If that now works for users that have redirected my documents folder, you are on to something.

Friday, March 3, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Thanks for helping me with this

Can't find anything in the registry for shell folders, lots of variables like common appdata which looks ok

I've enabled the client/debug log but shows nothing when I launch the app

Friday, March 3, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hmm... I responded in the debug logs thread also, but did you by any chance enable them before or after you repro'd? They don't catch anything before you enable them. I'd be surprised if nothing ends up there, usually you get a lot of info in there.
    Friday, March 3, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Yeah, last entry was 2hrs ago.  I've tried launching the app about 50 times since then ;-)
    Friday, March 3, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Doh!  As much fun as I know you will have doing this...you might have to procmon. 

Do you know if your capture machine has the redirection on it? Maybe the easier method at this point would be recapture but setting the my documents DIR to be the same as it is on your production machine.

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Yeah, I'll try now.  This is the only package of about 30 were having issues with.  Typical.
    Friday, March 3, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Banging my head against a brickwall.  Sequenced it with the documents pointing to the network share, still doesn't work.  Deleted the folders within documents and sequenced, still doesn't work.

Logged in with a user without redirection, works ok

Manually point the documents folder to the network, still works ok

It only stops working when the gpo for folder redirection is applied

:edit:  Ok, so I have copied the offending gpo and applied it to the user but with the documents redirect disabled.....still doesn't work.  Something weird is going on here.
    Friday, March 3, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Right, I know what the problem is.  The gpo is also redirecting the start menu for all users to c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu.  This is how we like it.

any ideas how to get around the issue with one package not working.

Thanks again :-)

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:50 PM
  • 0x20005 is an access denied error. How about disableing the start menu redirection, and keeping the mydocs redirection inplace!

Roy Essers

• Proposed as answer by Roy Essers Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:26 PM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 8:51 PM
  • Yeah that works fine.  I need to come up with a new way of using the start menu.

Currently it points to c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs which is great.  Now this issue I'm having with app-v either the permissions are wrong on that folder, or I need to use a new location for the start menu.

Or I might just remove redirection alltogether

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:05 AM
  • ok so in the end it was redirected start menu.  No amount of permission tricks would work.

Removed it in the end and did a few group policies and scripts to ensure the default start menu was ok.

• Marked as answer by GlenHarrison Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Sorry I didn't get back to this until now.  Maybe I'm dense but I'm confused.  Other app-v packages work with a redirected start menu just not this one?

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:39 PM