none
Can't update to Windows 8.1 - Error code: 0xc190102 RRS feed

• Question

• Can't update to Windows 8.1

Sorry, it looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files folder is being redirected to another partition.

Error code: 0xc190102

Yes I understand why, but Come On Man! Microsoft, get Windows OS installation up with the latest hardware technology!  With SSD drives improving system speed and reliability, systems are being built left and right by end users, professional users and OEM's that have USER and PROGRAM FILE data on another drive, RAID array and / or partition.  Why has Microsoft not worked this into Windows OS updates, upgrades and installations? Come On Man! This is BS, unprofessional and wrong that we are having to deal with this! 

I mean, besides the systems I have custom built this way with the USER and PROGRAM FILE data on another drive, RAID array and / or partition, what do you for OEM desktops and laptops that came built this way from them?

Can you not upgrade these as well to Windows 8.1?

Come On Man/Microsoft!

Come On Microsoft! You Can Do It! Please incorporate this into current and future Windows updates and installations to save all of us from having to waste this time and energy!

I mean really, why hasn't this not been done already especially for the Pro and higher versions of Windows?

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have any one of these scenarios, the installation of Windows 8.1 can't complete.

•The "Users" directory or the "ProgramData" directory was relocated from the default location on the "%systemdrive%" drive (the drive that contains the Windows directory).
    •User profiles are not located in the default location.
    •The "Program Files" directory is not located on the system drive.
    •The "Program Files (x86)" directory is not located on the system drive.

Please relocation of the "Users," "ProgramData," or "Program Files" directory is not supported in Windows 8 and will block operating system upgrades.

If you used the mklink command for redirecting your folders, you may be able to install the Windows 8.1 update by redirecting the Users profile back to the system drive.

For more information, see this article:

You encounter an error when trying to install Windows 8.1 due to redirecting the Users or Program Files folder to another partition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2876597

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have any one of these scenarios, the installation of Windows 8.1 can't complete.

•The "Users" directory or the "ProgramData" directory was relocated from the default location on the "%systemdrive%" drive (the drive that contains the Windows directory).
    •User profiles are not located in the default location.
    •The "Program Files" directory is not located on the system drive.
    •The "Program Files (x86)" directory is not located on the system drive.

Please relocation of the "Users," "ProgramData," or "Program Files" directory is not supported in Windows 8 and will block operating system upgrades.

If you used the mklink command for redirecting your folders, you may be able to install the Windows 8.1 update by redirecting the Users profile back to the system drive.

For more information, see this article:

You encounter an error when trying to install Windows 8.1 due to redirecting the Users or Program Files folder to another partition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2876597

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Ah, ah, tell me something I don't know! You missed the point! It should not be this way and how are the OEM doing it that have desktops and laptops built like this? Microsoft should make it so you can easily install and upgrade Windows systems with user and program data on another disk, array or partition!
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:34 AM
  • I support that, Highlander.

Especially when you consider the FACT that most SSDs (typically being 64-256GB) cannot hold both the OS and a large User/Program Files folder.

Microsoft, you NEED to support the use of SSD for the Boot/OS files, and a regular hard drive for Programs and Users Folders. Because this is how you SHOULD expect it to be.
    A Users Folder is a folder that you often need to write to. Likewise with the Programs folder.
    You need the system files on an SSD in order to load faster but you DO NOT need the data on this drive.

Enter 2014 PLEASE! Or let me put it like this: Please allow Windows 8 to correspond with a 2014 OS..!!!
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:48 PM