Where are all the group policy settings for IE??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have a Win XP SP 3 box running IE8.  When I go to Tool -> Internet Options, many of the controls are greyed out... there is also a message at the bottom of the screen which reads, "some settings are managed by your system administrator".

This is a standalone host -- everything is managed on that host; so... I opened the mmc, added the Group Policy Object Editor and browsed to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer

Just about ever policy item there is marked "not configured".

The question becomes, where do I go to be able to set the group policy so IE settings can be changed?

Thanks!

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:43 PM

Answers

• Did you also check:
    Local Computer Policy -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer

When you say it's standalone, do you mean, it's not a member of a Domain?

The message "some settings are managed by your system administrator", basically just means that some Group Policy settings for IE have been detected. It could be Domain GP or Local GP - either will cause this message to be displayed.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, December 23, 2013 11:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, January 6, 2014 4:31 PM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by corrupt registry. So you can fix it through modifying registry.

Could you please list those greyed options in internet options?

If there are so many problems with your IE, i recommend you to reintall IE for your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by 暁北 Monday, December 23, 2013 12:14 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 12:13 PM

All replies

• Did you also check:
    Local Computer Policy -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer

When you say it's standalone, do you mean, it's not a member of a Domain?

The message "some settings are managed by your system administrator", basically just means that some Group Policy settings for IE have been detected. It could be Domain GP or Local GP - either will cause this message to be displayed.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, December 23, 2013 11:50 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by corrupt registry. So you can fix it through modifying registry.

Could you please list those greyed options in internet options?

If there are so many problems with your IE, i recommend you to reintall IE for your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by 暁北 Monday, December 23, 2013 12:14 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 12:13 PM
  • > When you say it's standalone, do you mean, it's not a member of a Domain?

Yes, it is NOT a part of a domain.

> basically just means that some Group Policy settings for IE have been detected.

I understand that.  However, when I go into the group policy editor, it shows that the options as not configured. 

So, if the policies read "not configured" and yet the group policies have been detected, I'm seeking assitance for what is going on.  I need to make changes to the Internet Options window in IE and I cannot.

Thanks!

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thanks for the reply... I'm confused though.  You mention this can be fixed by modifying the registry.  But the attached link is about reinstalling IE.  What are the registry settings to which you are referring?

Thanks!

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:29 PM
  • I'd take a look at the \Policies\ regkeys, maybe something has been set in there, by hand or by a script?
    From memory, if anything is set in there for IE, the settings UI within IE will flag up that "some settings by your admin blah" message.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962657.aspx

I'd expect that the GPeditor, which is "constrained" by admin templates, wouldn't show you settings in there, if those settings aren't defined in a template.

another way of looking at this would be to use gpresult /h, which can reveal "additional settings" (i.e. settings that aren't resolved to a template)

Don

• Edited by DonPick Friday, January 10, 2014 9:43 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 9:40 PM