none
No Default switch Server 2016 Hyper V

Question

• After installing Hyper V on my test Data Center 2016 server. I noticed that the default switch never appeared. Is this something new in Server 2016. On Windows 10 the default switch appears after adding Hyper V.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:41 PM

Answers

• That's correct, Server 2016 does not have a default (NAT) switch, it only exists in Windows 10 (desktop) hyper-v

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Eric SironMVP Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:12 PM
    • Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Weza1 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• That's correct, Server 2016 does not have a default (NAT) switch, it only exists in Windows 10 (desktop) hyper-v

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Eric SironMVP Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:12 PM
    • Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Weza1 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Thank you Dave. Is there anyway to replicate the default switch. My goal is to have my vm access the internet on the same subnet as my host.
    • Edited by Weza1 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:58 PM
  • When you installed the Hyper-V role the host OS was moved to a special VM in the parent partition and a new external vSwitch was created with checkbox checked for allow management OS to share. Any new VMs you create can also use this same vSwitch or you can optionally create a new external vSwitch (assuming you have multiple physical adapters)

When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks/

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:07 PM