Mail Merge From Excel to Word RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an address list in Excel 2010 that I want to merge with Word 2010 standard Avery labels. I've tried following the steps:

1. Selected whole address list, including column headers

2. Defined Names (I tried this two ways--defining each column and defining the entire worksheet, but it was the same result)

3. Save & Close workbook

4. Opened Word

5. Start Mail Merge

6. Picked Labels

7. Selected Receipients

8. Selected data source MS Excel Worksheets via DDE

9. selected the cell range (here the data will only show the first column??)

10. Ok

All I see is the message <<next record>>.  What am I missing?  I've already confirmed the file format conversion because I've done a mail merge once before. This is driving me nuts, so help is MUCH appreciated!!!!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:01 PM

Answers

• Ah, I see.  The Insert Mergefield button is grayed out until I select a recepient list. Once I select the recepient list, if I then pick a field to insert it puts the name of the field, rather than the data (<<First_Name>>).
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:31 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:10 AM

All replies

• It doesn't appear that you've actually inserted any mergefields into the first label, after which you need to tell Word to update the labels.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:46 PM
  • I have absolutely no idea what that means.

I'm just following the instructions in Microsoft Help. What do you mean by "insert mergefield"?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Have you looked at the 'Insert Mergefield' button? Click on that an it will list all the available fields. Simply position the insertion point where you want a given field to appear, then click the 'Insert Mergefield' button and select the appropriate field. When you're done, click 'Update labels'.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Ah, I see.  The Insert Mergefield button is grayed out until I select a recepient list. Once I select the recepient list, if I then pick a field to insert it puts the name of the field, rather than the data (<<First_Name>>).
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:31 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Nevermind. I just figured it out.

Thank you!!

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:13 AM