none
School Calendar Hours/Days Issue RRS feed

• Question

• New user with Microsoft Project and I am looking at using it for annual lesson plans and project planning. The student hours are Monday - Friday 8AM - 3PM with a 1 hour lunch at 11AM-12PM. When I enter the Change Work Time and set it to start workday 8AM-3PM and workday 6 hours with a  30 hour work week I have an issue in the gant chart. When I enter 30 hours I end on Thursday. I scale out my summary timeline to encompass Mon-Fri and I get 6.33days instead of a 5 days. This is very basic and essential need to start off my timeline. What am I possibly doing wrong to get these results?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:43 PM

All replies

• Alexstraz --

Thank you for sharing your screenshots with us.  You are using Manually Scheduled tasks and summary tasks, which I believe is the source of your problem.  I would strongly recommend you use Auto Scheduled tasks instead.  To resolve this issue, please do the following:

1. Select the tasks you have already entered.
    2. In the Tasks section of the Task ribbon, click the Auto Schedule button to convert the tasks to Auto Scheduled.
    3. In the lower left corner of the Microsoft Project application window, click the Default Task Mode selector button (it currently shows Manually Scheduled) and select the Auto Schedule button.

I believe this should resolve your Duration issues.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:47 PM