Lots of orphan objects in Lost & found Container RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
           I find lots of object in lost & found container near abt 4000 object some of the computer object gives me ping reply when i ping them , so i donno wot to do.Even some are deleted but still showing in lost & found container,ntds setting object is also there when i try to see through ADSIEDIT.msc, if i delete all the object from lost & found will there be any issue or simply i can delete all files..?My domain is windows 2000.
      Can i delete all the files from lost & found container & movable tree in system container .So suggest me.
    From ADSI there is domain & config partition so i removed all object from both or just from configuration directory partition only.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 10:04 AM

Answers

• When you enable Advanced Features from Active Directory Users and Computers from the View menu the LostAndFound leaf appears among other menu items that are not displayed by default such as the NTDS Quotas, Program Data, and the System container.

The lostAndFound container is where objects that are orphaned during Active Directory database replication are placed. It is also where you find objects that have been moved to a new location that is missing after the server is replicated. For example if an object is created after a replication cycle runs and that object is then removed or deleted before the next replication cycle is initiated the object is then sent to the LostAndFound container.

The lostAndFound container is also the place to locate other orphaned objects such as orphaned user accounts.

You can delete all objects under lost&found from the configuration container.

This is how it's done:

Open the ADSI Edit MMC snap-in.

1. On the Action menu, click Connect to.

2. In the Connection Settings dialog box, in the Name field, enter a name for the ADSI connection. Under Connection Point, select Select a well known Naming Context, and then select Configuration in the drop-down menu. Click OK.

3. In the left pane, double-click the Configuration object, and then double-click LostAndFoundConfig.

4. In the right pane, delete all objects and containers. Right-click the object or container, click Delete, and then click Yes.

5. Exit ADSI Edit.

Please note that this operation if performed wrong can render your environment unusable.

• Marked as answer by Miles Li Friday, May 30, 2008 9:15 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  

Hi,

LostAndFoundConfig container provides storage for global configuration objects (in forest configuration partition)that are being created in containers that are simultaneously being deleted elsewhere on the network.

LostAndFound container (in directory partition of each domain) serves the same purpose for domain-specific objects.

For those objects that is no longer necessary you can safely delete them in both two containers.

For more information about the occurrence of replication conflict in Active Directory, you may refer to:

A Guide to Active Directory Replication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137781.aspx

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:07 AM

All replies

• When you enable Advanced Features from Active Directory Users and Computers from the View menu the LostAndFound leaf appears among other menu items that are not displayed by default such as the NTDS Quotas, Program Data, and the System container.

The lostAndFound container is where objects that are orphaned during Active Directory database replication are placed. It is also where you find objects that have been moved to a new location that is missing after the server is replicated. For example if an object is created after a replication cycle runs and that object is then removed or deleted before the next replication cycle is initiated the object is then sent to the LostAndFound container.

The lostAndFound container is also the place to locate other orphaned objects such as orphaned user accounts.

You can delete all objects under lost&found from the configuration container.

This is how it's done:

Open the ADSI Edit MMC snap-in.

1. On the Action menu, click Connect to.

2. In the Connection Settings dialog box, in the Name field, enter a name for the ADSI connection. Under Connection Point, select Select a well known Naming Context, and then select Configuration in the drop-down menu. Click OK.

3. In the left pane, double-click the Configuration object, and then double-click LostAndFoundConfig.

4. In the right pane, delete all objects and containers. Right-click the object or container, click Delete, and then click Yes.

5. Exit ADSI Edit.

Please note that this operation if performed wrong can render your environment unusable.

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  

Hi,

LostAndFoundConfig container provides storage for global configuration objects (in forest configuration partition)that are being created in containers that are simultaneously being deleted elsewhere on the network.

LostAndFound container (in directory partition of each domain) serves the same purpose for domain-specific objects.

For those objects that is no longer necessary you can safely delete them in both two containers.

For more information about the occurrence of replication conflict in Active Directory, you may refer to:

A Guide to Active Directory Replication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137781.aspx

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for this insite.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:45 PM