Install Office 2010 locally and virtualize Visio 2010 and Project 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to Install Office 2010 locally and virtualize Visio 2010 and Project 2010?

Are there any cotchas with doing this?

Friday, September 17, 2010 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Depending on the user-base - this may or may not be feasible. 

Most common issues are the integration-problems when it comes to OLE-objects that are noticed on more advanced users. 

As the patchning is far from automatic and requires a repacking / update for Visio / Project I would recommend maintaing those natively if the main-suite is natively installed.

/Znack
    Friday, September 17, 2010 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Depending on the user-base - this may or may not be feasible. 

Most common issues are the integration-problems when it comes to OLE-objects that are noticed on more advanced users. 

As the patchning is far from automatic and requires a repacking / update for Visio / Project I would recommend maintaing those natively if the main-suite is natively installed.

/Znack
    Friday, September 17, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Thanks Znack,

Let's assume we virtualize Office 2010 instead of installing. What would be a recommended way to virtualize Office 2010 for users that require Visio and Project 2010 and users that don't?

Friday, September 17, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Hello,

The Microsoft prescriptive guidance is available here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462

Deployment options can be read here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee656739.aspx

/Znack

Friday, September 17, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Let me rephrase the questiion.

Do I need to sequence 2 seperate App-V packages if user group A has no access to Visio and Project, and user group B does have access to Visio and Project?

Or would both user groups be able to use the same App-V package? This would save us a lot of patching as we need to use the shared cache capability in a VDI scenario.

Roel

Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:17 AM
  • You can do two separate packages with DSC, if you know what you are doing.

You can also do a single package using ACLs (security descriptors) on the project/visio components if you are using a deployment method that supports per-user publishing on a per-application basis.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hello,

From previous versions it has always been recommended that all Office-programs are installed to the same path.

Using security descriptors would probably be a good way forward.

/Znack

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:17 PM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 4:47 AM
  • We've sequenced the suite WITH Visio Premium and Project Professional and the way we're differentiating is to simply set the Access permissions on the OSD (shortcuts) differently in Active Directory. 

Both groups of users, however, are utilizing the same APPV package.

Chris

Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:06 PM