Windows Virtual install problems... Stops in updating process RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there

I´ve made several attempts at installing the Windows Virtual application on my system, currently running Windows 7. I´m running 64-bit, downloaded and installed the update containing the program (Windows6.1-KB958559-x64), rebooted as I was told, and when the update configuration reaches 15%, it reports and error and rewinds the process. My update log reports the error-code 80004004.

My system does support virtual machine (It´s an Intel motherboard), and I´ve switched on the VT-options in the BIOS as well.

What could the source of this error be? Other windows updates run without problems.

Is there by chance another kind of application for installing the Virtual Machine? In case it´s the "update-form" of the install-application that causes problems

Thanks in advance!
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:23 PM

Answers

• Comodo Firewall software was interfering with the installer in this case. The workaround to install the MSU is

1. Uninstall the Comodo Firewall.
    2. Reboot the machine.
    3. Install the MSU.

Rasmus, thanks a bunch for cooperating with us and providing the information required to debug this issue.

Yadnyesh.
    "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    • Marked as answer by Nitin.Garg Monday, July 20, 2009 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:31 AM

All replies

• In order to debug the issue further, can you send us \Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log at wcvdata@microsoft.com ?

"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:58 PM
  • We received CBS.log from the mail. Thanks Rasmus. Can you please send us %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log and %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log as well to the same address (wcvdata@microsoft.com ) ?

Thanks,
    Yadnyesh.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Hi Rasmus,

We have got some useful information from the logs you have sent and are gaining some lead in the issue. In order to debug the issue further, can you please send us %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml at wcvdata@microsoft.com as well?

We appreciate you helping us with the logs.

Thanks,
    Yadnyesh.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Hello there,

i got the same problem like rasmus. I'm going to sent you the same log files.

Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by ronkub Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:16 PM spell checking
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi Rasmus,

As it turns out, we need more data regarding the issue.

Is there anything in registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs? If yes, can you export the key and send us its contents?

Is it possible to get a dump of TrustedInstaller.exe process right before shutdown (after you have installed the MSU and the system is about to restart)? If yes, please send us the dump.

Also, what are the software installed on the machine? Have you installed any anti-virus/anti-malware software? If yes, can you share with us vendor/version information? And what does it report when you perform a scan?

We approciate your help to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,
    Yadnyesh.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Comodo Firewall software was interfering with the installer in this case. The workaround to install the MSU is

1. Uninstall the Comodo Firewall.
    2. Reboot the machine.
    3. Install the MSU.

Rasmus, thanks a bunch for cooperating with us and providing the information required to debug this issue.

Yadnyesh.
    • Marked as answer by Nitin.Garg Monday, July 20, 2009 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Hi Yadnyesh,

Sounds good cause i also got a Comodo Firewall running. Will try out this.

Thanks,
    ronkub
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:22 AM