none
Outlook is re-sending old emails to same recipients and then those sent emails are deleted

Question

• I have a Windows 10 client with Outlook 2016 that resent a lot of old emails, that had originally been delivered.  We are running Exchange 2010.  I opened the mailbox and could see several in sent items all going out at the exact same time, and it sounds like they went to the same people that had received them before(months old) because multiple people called asking why they were getting old emails.  While I had the mailbox opened, those resent emails then disappeared from her sent items on their own.  I could still see her older sent items, but not the resent emails that everyone is reporting they are receiving.  So far nothing appears malicious and it just cannot be explained.  I rebuilt her profile, but does anyone have any other ideas for what I can do from the troubleshooting side?

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:24 PM

All replies

• Sometimes that happens.  I've never seen a coherent explanation for why this occurs.  I'd just write it off as an one-time anomaly.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:26 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Per my experience, using a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook may cause some similar issue. If there is any anti-virus software has been installed on the user's computer, it is really recommended to disable or uninstall this software and monitor few days to check if the same issue occurs again.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  I still cannot explain why it happened and we are going to re-image that computer, but even other people saying they have seen it before helps.

Dave

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hi Dave,

You can also try to update outlook to the latest version and monitor if the same issue happens again. 

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 22, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:00 AM