Outlook 2016 RMS Templates (Office 365) RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so I don't know why this isn't easier, but I'm trying to get RMS templates to install on a computer in Outlook.

I do the regular, "Connect to RMS Server..." in Outlook under Permissions.

But I get the "Your machine isn't set up for Information Rights Management (IRM). To set up IRM, sign in to Office, open an existing IRM protected message or document, or contact your help desk."

Normally I solve this by having them sign-out of word/excel, closing all office programs, signing back in, and then re-opening Outlook 2016. But I have one computer that won't work at all.
    Of course I could probably send an IRM protected message and they could set it up that way, but I think it's a minor irritation that I can't just have Outlook 2016 set it up, because I want to why know it won't set it up. It works for mostly everyone else that signs out/signs in of the Outlook 2016 (Office 365) ProPlus clients.

• Edited by jrmoat Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that only one specific user cannot use the RMS templates in Outlook. Please confirm if this user can use the IRM in other Office applications such as Word, Excel etc.

Please go to File > Account, check the Product information, make sure this user is using the same product with other users. Also ensure your computer is domain-joined.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:33 AM

All replies

• I saw this got posted in the wrong forum. Is there a way to move this to the appropriate forum without re-posting again?
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that only one specific user cannot use the RMS templates in Outlook. Please confirm if this user can use the IRM in other Office applications such as Word, Excel etc.

Please go to File > Account, check the Product information, make sure this user is using the same product with other users. Also ensure your computer is domain-joined.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:33 AM