none
Teams Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been checking various articles regarding teams deployment and was finally able to deploy it using MSI. The issue faced is as below:-

1) when deployed, it would need a user to be logged on to the system for the deployment to work, where it installs the Teams- Site Wide Installer in Add/Remove.

2) Once this is installed, the Teams launcher would only work and install Teams software if i logon with administrative account. If a user ID with limited permissions is used to logon to the system, it will not launch the Teams deployment where it installs the Teams software along with Teams Site Wide Installer under Add/Remove.

What I have observed is that when admin account is used to login, the background task remains in RUNNING mode whereas it remains in suspended mode when logged on with normal user account. not sure, but this seems to be reason why the launcher does not work.

I have tried following various leading articles including packaging them as Applications but the results somehow are not perfect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Teams MSI will place an installer in Program Files. Whenever a user signs into a new Windows User Profile, the installer will be launched and a copy of the Teams app will be installed in that user's AppData folder. If a user already has the Teams app installed in the AppData folder, the MSI installer will skip the process for that user.
    The default behavior of the MSI is to install the Teams app as soon as a user signs in and then automatically start Teams. If you don't want Teams to start automatically for users after it's installed, you can use Group Policy to set a policy setting or disable auto launch for the MSI installer.
    For more details, see:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment

Best Option to Deploy MS Teams MSI Using SCCM

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

The Teams MSI will place an installer in Program Files. Whenever a user signs into a new Windows User Profile, the installer will be launched and a copy of the Teams app will be installed in that user's AppData folder. If a user already has the Teams app installed in the AppData folder, the MSI installer will skip the process for that user.
    The default behavior of the MSI is to install the Teams app as soon as a user signs in and then automatically start Teams. If you don't want Teams to start automatically for users after it's installed, you can use Group Policy to set a policy setting or disable auto launch for the MSI installer.
    For more details, see:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment

Best Option to Deploy MS Teams MSI Using SCCM

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thanks Larry_z,

I have been following this approach but have found that this does not work everytime.

When MSI is deployed via SCCM to a system, user has to log off and log back in in order to launch teams, which is understood, but I have found that this option only works when the user is an admin on the system, otherwise the teams would never launch on the system.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

Note that these examples also use the ALLUSERS=1 parameter. When you set this parameter, Teams Machine-Wide Installer appears in Programs and Features in Control Panel and in Apps & features in Windows Settings for all users of the computer. All users can then uninstall Teams if they have admin credentials on the computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Larry

Friday, June 12, 2020 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Note that these examples also use the ALLUSERS=1 parameter. When you set this parameter, Teams Machine-Wide Installer appears in Programs and Features in Control Panel and in Apps & features in Windows Settings for all users of the computer. All users can then uninstall Teams if they have admin credentials on the computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Larry

Hello,

I can see the entry in Add/Remove program as "Teams Machine-Wide Installer". However, my initial query was :-

1) A user has to be logged on to the system for the deployment to work.

2) It does not launch for the existing user, who was logged on when this installer was deployed.

3) Also, if this user relogs on, then the Teams launcher would only work if this user is an admin.

4) Same as for any other user logging on for the first time on this system, the teams launcher works only if the user logging on is an admin.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 18, 2020 1:00 PM