none
Migrate from Exchange online (plan 1) to Office365 Business Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I want to migrate 30 users and a few shared mailboxes from Exchange Online (plan1) to Office 365 business essentials.

Normally I should add a Office 365 licence in the admin center of Microsoft online, but for some reasons the CSP has disabled this function.

The CSP says I should create a new tennant and then export all mailboxes from Exchange online to PST and then create new users in the new tennant and import the PST files.

I think it's a weird solution, because we can not use the mailboxes for a few days.

I tried to create a new tennant with an Office 365 Business Essentials trial and then I tried to create a migration endpoint.

I selected Exchange Remote, then entered the emailaddress and credentials from a user with admin rights.

After that, the wizzard asks for the FQDN of the MRS-Proxy. I tried outlook.office365.com, but that does not work.

What should I enter there, so I can finish the migration endpoint and migrate the users like migrating from on-premise to online?

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Your CSP is making things waaaay harder for you, so you might consider taking this directly with them (escalate if needed, etc). FYI, cross-tenant migrations are NOT supported by Microsoft native tools yet, best you can do is manual export/import via Outlook and the overall process is a pain in the...
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:36 PM
  • Is it possible to use IMAP migration, then I only have to export/import contacts and calendar ?

Most mailboxes are about 20 GB and I don't like to upload that on a slow DSL line, so if I can use IMAP for the mail, then the needed PST files for contacts and calendar are a lot smaller.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:58 AM
  • As Vasil pointed out , you really do not  have to migrate to a different tenant just for switching licenses, Either escalate to Microsoft or transfer your tenant to some other CSP who can assist you assigning licenses. This should be fairly simple.

Tenant to tenant migration requires third party licensed tools like migrationwiz..

Regards,

Fazal

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:22 PM