Remote assistance with modified invitation file does not work RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all, I am seeing an issue where if you modify a Remote Assistance invitation file to point to a different IP address than the address of the PC it was created on (such as to get through a router using NAT), and then try to open a Remote Assistance connection from a Vista Business PC using that modified invitation, that it fails because it ignores the changed plain text IP address in the file and will only try to use the original IP address of the remote PC. If I use the same modified invitation file to connect from a XP PC, then it works fine. Just so that it is clear, the change being made to the invitation file is the IP address that follows the "RCTICKET=" section.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? I have tried everything that I can think of, I would simply call it a bug in Vista that it does not work as expected, so I guess it needs to get submitted to Microsoft somehow. If "remote" assistance cannot function when being forwarded through a router to the destination PC, then it is basically worthless as a means of "remote" assistance.

Thank you!

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

• I actually found a way to make it work. When modifying the invitation file, in addition to changing the IP address you have to remove the chunk that begins with LHTICKET= up to the second quotation mark that follows it (right before RCTICKET=). Thank you.

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:30 PM