none
Unable to access PWA using FQDN RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, we have setup a new instance of Project Server 2013, and created alternate access mapping in SharePoint. The configuration is:

    Default: FQDN, such as https://project.mydomain.com

    Intranet: Server name, such as https://project

    Now when we use the server name to access PWA, everything works fine. However, when we use FQDN, we're able to open the default page of PWA, as well as PWA settings. But when we click any link in the quick launch, such as Projects, Tasks, etc. we get an error:

    Cannot communicate with the server. Verify your connection and try again.

    We have another Project Server environment with identical settings, except for the server name (project-test instead of project). That environment works fine for both server name and FQDN.

    There's no useful information in the logs, except for the following, which we're not sure if relate to Project Server:

    Error initializing Safe control - Assembly:Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c TypeName: Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.DocSetRibbonActions Error: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.DocSetRibbonActions' from assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c'.

    And lots of other similar errors related to web parts. Those messages do not show up in the instance that works.

    There're also lots of messages such sa:

    [Forced due to logging gap, Original Level: Verbose] Leaving {0}.Update

    Not sure if those logs are related to the current problem. Thanks for any info.


    Shining Oh Blue Star


    • Edited by SALX Monday, April 20, 2015 6:42 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 6:41 AM

Answers

  • Thanks for the suggestion. We haven't tried it yet. Anyway, the problem was caused by IE's security configuration. By default, IE seems to consider the FQDN as an internet site. We added the site to trusted site zone, and the problem went away.

    Shining Oh Blue Star

    • Marked as answer by SALX Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:33 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I would suggest removing the AAM and then trying to extend the web application using the FQDN and see if that would help

    Paul

    Monday, April 20, 2015 10:58 PM
  • Thanks for the information. Can you please elaborate on how to extend the web application using FQDN?

    Shining Oh Blue Star

    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

    You have to go to the SharePoint Central Administration and in the Application Management area the Manage Web Applications can be accessed. Here, select the web application that hosts your PWA and select Extend and use the FQDN when extending.

    Hope this helps

    Paul 

    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. We haven't tried it yet. Anyway, the problem was caused by IE's security configuration. By default, IE seems to consider the FQDN as an internet site. We added the site to trusted site zone, and the problem went away.

    Shining Oh Blue Star

    • Marked as answer by SALX Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:33 AM