none
Calculating Work costs and Cost costs separately in PS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a PDP that shows the project costs and calculates an RRP

I need to separate out the work costs from the cost costs to apply different mark-ups - is this at all possible

I have stopped using 'Budgeted costs' as the business wants to know when costs are recognised from the plan - so I am using a generic cost resource. Whereas before the budgeted costs were easy to split from the work costs; now it does not seem possible.

My proposed method is to deal with this is below- does this sound best practice?

Step 1: At the pricing phase the people doing that use a budgeted cost and they baseline the project and I can use that to make the price sheet

Step 2: when the project is in Go mode; the PM removes the budget and replaces it with a generic cost resource. I want a baseline set again

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:06 AM

All replies

• Cost resources are used to denote non-labor costs. Cost resources come in two flavors, Budget and Expense. Budget only goes on Task 0 and this sounds like what you are already doing.

For Expense cost resources, they should be on separate tasks from work resources and used to track actual + forecasted expenses. Cost resources can also use Cost Rate Tables, so I wonder if you could use those for up to 5 levels of markup?

PMs shouldn't have to remove the Budgeted cost as that would be summed in Budget Cost. If you are using Expense Cost resources, that would sum in Cost.

So, for step 1, you would use Budget Cost to do your price sheet.

For step 2, you would use Cost to get the actual + forecasted cost.

Hopefully, this helps. If not, please provide more information.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte |http://AboutMSProject.com

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:06 PM