none
Upgrading from EPM2007 to EPM2013 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am working on a project which is about upgrading existing EPM2007 to EPM2013 for a logistics firm. Their existing infrastructure has one server farm containing one MS SQL Server and one EPM server. I have never worked on EPM2007 before.

I have meeting with client in a few days and was thinking as to what points do I have to keep in mind when doing upgrade? Like any questions that I should ask client to clarify requirements? Any other specific points related to upgrade?

Thanks

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:49 AM

All replies

• Ok in addition to what I asked above, do you think rather than upgrading from 2007 to 2013 (because there are no Mircosoft tools available for direct upgrade), I should first upgrade 2007 to 2010 and then from 2010 to 2013 using Microsoft tools? Is it a good idea.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Hi Frank,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff603507 describes the technical processes.  Keep in mind you are going from WSS3.0 to SharePoint 2013, and from 4 DBs in Project Server 2007 to 1 in 2013.  You have to go via a Project Server 2010 conversion. 

There is so much that could go wrong, I would be tempted to manually move projects and docs from one system to the other.  This allows for a santity check of and clear out of the old projects and sharepoint sites.

If the customer has customised in anyway the sharepoint sites, then this is also likely to be an area which requires much testing.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Ben is correct, you have to go via 2010 and that even through database attach approach, as in-place is no more supported in 2013. Do check this site as well, have some other info that might be helpful.

Thanks

Thanks, Kashif

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:39 PM